A simple and easy snack is always needed after a long day at work that would not need much attention or time to cook. Waffle fries are one of them. The waffle fries are delicate and tasty, and they can still fulfill your belly with all those good carbs.
The best part is that they’ll be ready in less than 10 minutes, straight from the freezer and onto your plate with your favorite spices and condiments. These waffle fries are crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside, and that is called the perfection of balanced food.
The old method is deep frying, and the technology has surely come a long way; one of the proofs is an air fryer. If you don’t know about this appliance, then you are behind, and after knowing its benefits, you’ve got to run to a supermarket to buy this machine where the magic happens.
An air fryer is an ultimate appliance that fries your food using no oil; just circulating hot air will crisp up the food in no time and cook the food insides too, with a tenderized and juicy texture. Moreover, it preserves the essential nutrients in the food.
Hence, waffle fries made in an air fryer could be the next beloved meal you have. So, let’s start with it.
How long do I cook waffle fries in an air fryer?
To achieve the perfect outer crust and delicate insides, air fry them for 10–12 minutes.
The process is simple, all you have to do is preheat the fryer to 400°F or 200°C for 2-3 minutes, fit them into the basket (with or without parchment paper), and lightly spray the cooking oil onto them.
Pop the fryer basket into its place and let the fries cook for 10 minutes. Toss them once the timer reaches halfway through, and then check for taste and texture.
If you like more crispy fries, you can fry them for more minutes according to your taste and then serve them hot with dipping sauce.
How can I cook frozen waffle fries in an air fryer?
- Pack of waffle fries
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper (or your preferred spices)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F degrees.
- Toss in a bowl, a pack of frozen fries, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Lay the fries in the basket in a single layer (don’t overcrowd) and place the basket back into the unit.
- Let them cook for 10 minutes. Once the timer is halfway through toss and flips the fries.
- You can cook them for additional 2-3 minutes for getting your desired crispiness, and serve them hot with dipping.
What temperature should I air fry fries?
400 Fahrenheit is the ideal temperature for your fries to cook in the best manner; the internet may say otherwise, but the majority is always right, right? I tested it and cooking the fries above or below 400°F results in either too hard or too mushy fries.
Even layering and tossing are important too because if you stack them, the overlapping makes the fries soggy from place to place while the tossing changes the fries’ position from above to below and below to above so that even cooking is possible without turning into a failed attempt.
Why are my fries soggy in an air fryer?
Everyone enjoys and requires crispy fries, but if your fries are becoming squishy, there are a few factors to consider, and you should check them first:
- Soak and Dry method: Submerge the potato waffles for 15-20 mins in water after cutting, then pat dry them with a paper towel, don’t ever put the wet fries, always dry them before putting them in the fryer.
- Oil: too much oil can form a residue (as a layer) and the heating will only get this layer without getting deep into it.
- Low temperature: The hot air of low temperature may cause the fries to be done externally and not internally.
- Level: Keep the fries at the bottom level of the air fryer basket, also, don’t stack them over each other.
- Rack: After cooking them to your liking, put them onto a rack so that air can get onto both sides making them crispy. If you put them into a closed surface (microwave, oven, or plate) then the moisture traps at the bottom resulting in sogginess.
Do you put oil on the fries in the air fryer?
The answer is simple: yes. You might wonder why. The answer is descriptive, but I'm going to tell you in short: a little olive oil adds texture and flavor while cooking. You can try it for yourself and see the results right in front of your eyes and, of course, on your taste buds.
Secondly, the oil makes the spices stick better to the fries (or just salt and pepper can also work here). Third, and most importantly, you don’t need to use a liter of oil, you just need a drizzle or a spoonful of olive oil, cooking oil, or avocado oil.
Can you cook more than one thing at a time in an air fryer?
You can surely cook more than one thing in the air fryer if you are running short on time, this might be helpful for a lot of occasions too. For example, you can combine fries and nuggets, pie and churros, or jalapeno peppers and cheese toast.
However, there is a limit; you should not place raw meat next to anything else as this may cause cross-contamination right after you place them on the rack. This way, you can get sick and loosen the restrictions on precious foods too.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer?
Honestly, preheating your air fryer is the best option for your food to get its signature crispiness and tender insides.
This cooks the food in no time, whether it’s a potato, Texas toast, or just a piece of chicken breast covered in panko crumbs.
Preheating takes only 2-3 minutes; keep the basket in the unit while it heats; however, if you do not choose to preheat the fryer, here is what happens to your food: The food is not cooked evenly; it will be mushy, and the cooking time will be doubled.
So, in conclusion, you better preheat the fryer.
How can you spice up the waffle fries?
The waffle fries are covered in spices with a brushing of olive oil before cooking. Some salt, pepper, and ketchup are enough to jazz up the fries’ taste, but to make it more delectable, here are some combos you can try to substitute salt and pepper:
- Garlic powder
- Dried herbs
- Smoked paprika
- Bbq sauce
- Curry powder
After you have spiced up your fries, you can also serve them as a part of the main meal, along with some chicken wings, tomato soup, pepperoni and cheese, gravy, a grilled cheese sandwich, and traditional mac and cheese.
The list goes on, but making this combo will make you do the finger-licking with no crumbs on the plate.
Storing and Reheating
If there are any waffle fries left over, here’s how you can store and reheat them properly.
Store them in an airtight container (once they cool down) and then put them in the refrigerator. Reheat them in an air fryer at 350°F for 3–5 minutes, until they are looking as fresh as new.
How Do You Tell Whether Your Waffle Fries Are Done?
If you’re only using a pot, carefully drop the fries into the oil so they don’t splatter.
Allow the fries to fry for 5 minutes, or until golden brown, before removing them from the oil.
To make this recipe more authentic, cut fries, soak them in water for 15 minutes, dry thoroughly, fry for four minutes in 325-degree peanut oil, drain and cool, heat oil to 375 degrees, and fry till light brown. Season with salt and serve.
How Can You Improve On Frozen Waffle Fries?
Garnish your fries with garlic powder, fresh rosemary, seasoned salt, fresh virgin-olive [oil], or truffle oil for a gourmet touch.
A sprinkle of oil, in addition to adding taste, can help keep fries from sticking together in the oven. Cooking durations will vary depending on a few things (more on that below), but most types of french fries will be ready to eat in 10-12 minutes.
The crispy waffle fries make you go over to them again and again, you enjoy them until you realize how much weight you will gain after the table session.
That’s why keeping track is important, and for your convenience, here’s what the nutrition in a single serving of 82 grams of waffle fries looks like:
There is no doubt that these air-fried waffle fries are healthy because you cut down the fat and cholesterol to half because of the blessing of circulating hot air. Protein and good carbs also rate highly in the foodie’s dictionary, but if you want a healthy lifestyle, you must stay focused.
- Waffle fries made in an air fryer will change your life for the good when you are running late in the kitchen.
- Seasoned it with your favorite spices and you are ready to serve them hot and spicy.
- The fun shape and outstanding texture attract foodies and they will be in the tummy right after fry.
- This dish makes a great appetizer, side dish, or even a late-night snack.
- Making waffle fries in an air fryer makes your life easier with no mess, no extra bills, and tasty food.
- You should not exceed 400 Fahrenheit degrees in temperature.
- You don’t need a lot of oil to cook, except for a spoonful of olive oil on the fries for sticking spices.