Air-fried apple crisp is an ideal fall dessert. It is highly nutritious because of healthy ingredients such as oats, apples, and butter. It’s delicious for breakfast and a mid-day snack as well!
This recipe is highly adaptable due to the use of several apple varieties. A combination of sweet and sour Granny Smith Honeycrisp apples is the perfect blend to make this scrumptious dessert.
The most convenient part about making it in an air fryer is how quick and easy it is, especially when you only need a small amount. Serve with a scoop of vanilla or praline, and enjoy to the fullest!
Let’s get to the recipe!
Why You’ll Enjoy This Recipe?
You’ll want to make this dessert all the time because it includes your favorite fresh apples and just requires a few ingredients.
It’s also simple to make, with less than two cups of apples and oat toppings, and has a delightful texture in both the creamy filling and the crunchy topping.
What Is the Difference Between Apple Crisp, Streusel, and Crumble?
An apple crisp features an oat topping, which gives it a crisper texture, whereas a streusel is constructed with flour, spices, and sugar.
A crumble is mostly composed of cookie or broken pie crust, spices, and brown sugar, which results in a chewier topping texture.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious dessert:
- 2 cups of diced apples (any type)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- Citrus juice
- 3 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, melted butter, lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp of white sugar
- 1 dash of salt
Directions For Cooking
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius.
- Brush a 5-inch oval microwave dish with melted butter.
- Simmer apples for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Mix apples, water, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.
- Wrap them tightly and place them in the prepared dish.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes and place the dish into the air fryer’s basket.
- Stir and set the fryer for another 5 minutes while covered in aluminum foil.
- Add the streusel topping for better flavor.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, lemon juice, and melted butter in a small bowl with a fork to make a crumbly topping. Alternatively, you can use a mechanical mixer too.
- Cover the apples with these toppings. Air fry them for another 5 minutes and then turn off the air fryer.
- Allow it to cool once taken out of the air fryer.
This delicious treat is served with:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Honey-sweetened Greek yogurt
Types of Apples Used For This Recipe
Use a different type of apple to modify this recipe. Here are some recommendations:
- Pink Lady apples: They have the ideal sweetness-to-tartness ratio.
- Fuji apples: They are softer in flavor and sweeter.
- Granny Smiths: They are crispy, less sweet, and sour.
- Honeycrisp apples: They are sweet, tangy, crispy, and juicy.
Tips For Perfect Results
- Replace butter with coconut oil for a healthier dessert.
- Shake halfway through cooking to ensure an even brown.
- Instead of using large apples, you can use 2 to 4 cups of chopped apples. Chop them into uniformly small pieces, as larger ones could hinder the cooking process.
- Chopped walnuts or pecans can substitute almonds for a nuttier taste.
- Self-raising flour is used in various recipes to lift food slightly. Crumble doesn’t bake up like a cake; it has a slightly raised texture. However, add some baking powder to the mixture to create a lifted top.
Which apples are the best for this recipe?
It depends on your preference. Granny smith apples provide are slightly firm texture. Fuji is firmer and pretty soft, and sweeter.
Use half of both for a slightly firm and sweet mixture. Red Delicious apples tend to break down during cooking; therefore not recommended.
How to store air-fried apple crisp?
You can store the leftover air-fried apple crisp in the refrigerator in an airtight container or freezer-safe container.
They can be stored for 5 days to 2 months or until they begin to absorb moisture. If kept for over three months, they’ll lose their texture and become mushy. The original taste and crispiness would not return even after refrigerating.
Sprinkle lemon juice on the apples before storing them. It’ll keep them from browning and losing their original color.
How to reheat apple crisp?
Some people prefer eating it cold. If you want to enjoy apple crisp warm, microwave it for 30 seconds. Or reheat it in the air fryer.
Cover the tray with aluminum foil and reheat for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the foil in the last 5 minutes to crisp up the topping. Covering the dish preserves the flavors of all the ingredients.
Once reheated, give it a slight stir and add 1 tbsp of apple cider to enhance moisture, and then air fry for 2 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to remember that the oatmeal won’t be crunchy after a few hours.
What is the best topping for the air-fried apple crisp?
There are so many options that pair well with this delectable dish. A dash of salt or caramel syrup is liked by many.
People generally like to eat vanilla ice cream with it, but it might cost you some calories. Chocolate sauce drizzled on top enhances the flavor. Another option is to have berries and coffee with ice cream.
Why was my apple crisp so watery?
The water content of your meal is determined by the type of apple used. Pick Granny Smith or Pippin instead of Red Delicious to avoid the watery texture. Cornstarch or flour is the thickening agent that helps maintain apple crisp viscosity.
You must make sure to chill toppings before adding them to the crisp. It needs enough time to fry up and become crispy, so air fry it with patience. This way, you’ll avoid a soggy or watery apple crisp.
Do you prebake the crust for apple crisp?
Prebaking the crust is necessary for a crispy, golden brown, and delicious dessert. First, bake the crust’s bottom for 5 to 10 minutes, and then add the filling. After that, air fry it for another 10 minutes.
Baking the crust will save you time and ensure a brown crunchy texture that is liked by all.
The crust distinguishes an apple crisp from an apple pie. The crust of an apple pie is buttery and flaky. Whereas apple crisp has a crumbly and crunchy coating with nothing at the bottom.
What is the difference between apple crisp, streusel, and crumble?
Streusel, apple crisp, and crumble are distinctive from one another. Although we use streusel to top apple crisp, they are not alike. A streusel is produced with flour, spices, and sugar, whereas apple crisp topping consists of a rolling oat topping that makes it crispier than the streusel.
On the other hand, a crumble is composed of pie crust or crumbled cookies. It contains some flavoring and brown sugar, which guarantees a chewy texture.
- An apple crisp is an amazing breakfast or appetizer. Added ice cream or whipped cream makes them more of a dessert.
- Crumble is used to top the apple crisp and provide a crispy yet crunchy delight.
- When baking your apple crisp, you can use one type of apple or a combination of varieties of apples for more flavor.
- Air fryers are preheated at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and the prepared mixture is placed in a tray with a lid or a cover of aluminum wrap.
- Overall, you need to bake the apple crisp for 10 minutes by removing the covering in the last 5 minutes. This scrumptious dessert also pairs well with Hershey’s chocolate syrup or caramel sauce.