Who among us does not love pizza? The Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls will win your heart. These flavor-packed rolls make the ideal lunch, supper, or after-school treat!
I enjoy cooking these pizza rolls and stuffing them with bacon, chicken, BBQ sauce, onions, and shredded mozzarella cheese. They get the perfect shade of golden brown when cooked in the air fryer. Pizza night is the ideal occasion for this simple dish.
Making this recipe is really simple. They may be prepared in any air fryer, but I prefer to use my Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer.
Simply use a small baking sheet if you have an air fryer with a tray.
Ingredients You Need to Make Bbq Chicken Pizza Roll
|Flat Bread or Pizza Dough
|Many variations exist for flatbread! Cooked naan, tortillas, etc. I made use of a flatbread that resembled a tortilla that I bought at Target.
|Shredded Chicken Breast
|Chicken breast that has already been cooked. It’s best to use rotisserie chicken.
|You can use any bbq sauce of your choice.
|I enjoy using shredded mozzarella as a topping, but cheddar or Monterey jack are other excellent choices.
|You can skip this if you don’t like onions.
|This is optional
How to Make Bbq Chicken Pizza Roll in Air Fryer
Start by setting up the air fryer basket before making the BBQ Chicken Pizza Rolls.
If you don’t have air fryer parchment paper, you can line the basket with air fryer-safe nonstick spray or a little layer of olive oil. Put the basket aside once it is ready. Flatten the rolled-up pizza dough into a rectangle on a flat surface.
Brush some BBQ sauce, such as Sweet Baby Ray’s, on the dough’s top. After that, add the red pepper flakes and garlic powder to the sauce. The shredded chicken and mozzarella cheese should be placed on top of the sauce.
After assembling the base, sprinkle the pizza with chopped green onions and bacon crumbles. Roll the dough tightly, beginning at the long end.
Eight uniform slices of dough, each approximately one inch thick, should be made. Put them cut side down in the basket or prepared a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
I cook the rolls for 5–6 minutes, but if you’re preparing them for the first time, start at 4 minutes and add 1-2 minutes at a time for your air fryer. When they are golden brown, they are done. Maintain refrigeration and store in an airtight container.
Can You Make Pizza Dough at Home?
You can make pizza dough at home. You just need five simple ingredients:
- Yeast: As a leavening agent, active dry yeast is the component that makes the pizza dough rise.
- Sugar: You must dissolve your yeast in warm water with a spoonful of sugar in order to activate it. The sugar nourishes the yeast and hastens the activation process. When the top starts to bubble and foam, your yeast is ready to use.
- Bread Flour: Pizza crusts are best made with bread flour since it produces chewier results than all-purpose flour. This is so because it has higher protein, which contributes to the production of a lot of gluten. The flexibility of the crust is due to gluten.
- Olive oil: When it comes to pizza crust, olive oil has two functions: it not only adds flavor and color, but it also acts as a barrier between the oil and the water. This greasy shield protects against sogginess.
- Salt: Salt is a very versatile ingredient. In addition to flavoring food, salt also strengthens the gluten, making the crust chewier and delaying fermentation (resulting in a better rise).
How to Roll Out Pizza Dough?
The most active step in creating a pizza crust is stretching the dough.
Although it requires some practice, it is simple as pie. How to form the dough:
Let the Dough Come to Room Temperature
Once the ingredients have been thoroughly combined, let the dough rest on the counter for about 30 minutes.
The gluten will be able to relax as a result, making it much simpler to stretch and form the dough. Working with cold dough is significantly more challenging.
Prepare Your Surface With Oil
To avoid sticking, you might be tempted to cover your work surface in a thick layer of flour. With many different types of dough, this is a useful step.
In this situation, though, using too much flour can result in a tough pizza crust. Instead, use a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and possibly a little flour to rub your surface (and your hands).
As a result, there won’t be any sticking, the food will be more crispy, and the color will be magnificent golden.
Shape the Dough
When it comes to forming the dough, you have a few possibilities. Use a rolling pin, pat it with your hands, or stretch it in the air.
Regardless of the technique, you select, avoid overworking the dough. Overworking it will result in a rough texture.
You should end up with an even circle that is 10 to 12 inches broad and about 1 inch thick. If you make the crust too thin, it could not be strong enough to hold the sauce and toppings.
How Long Can You Store Pizza Dough?
In the refrigerator, this pizza dough will keep for about five days. It should be kept in an airtight container or a bowl that is completely covered in storage wrap.
Before using, let the chilled dough rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Pizza dough can also be frozen without a doubt. For those who frequently prepare pizza, this is a fantastic solution.
The dough is ready for freezing once it has been rolled into a ball and lightly oiled. The ball should be put in a freezer-safe container with a date label for three months or so of freezing.
The night before you intend to use it, simply place the frozen dough in the refrigerator to thaw.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Cooking methods for air fryers vary. Check to see whether your pizza is done frequently!
- This recipe is quite adaptable. More sauce, please? Add additional sauce. Dislike onions? Remove them.
- Pizza dough should be completely cooked before being added to the air fryer.
- Prior to including chicken on the pizza, the chicken must also be fully cooked.
Can You Use Canned Chicken?
You can definitely create your chicken and bacon crumble in the air fryer. When I need dinner quickly, I use canned chicken.
One of the benefits of utilizing canned chicken breast is that you don’t have to cook the chicken. This means you’ll save a lot of time in the kitchen.
Do I Need To Apply Cooking Spray?
Check the manufacturer’s instructions before using any cooking spray in the air fryer.
Air fryer parchment paper is one of my favorite recommended goods. It makes cleanup easier, but it is not required if you use an air fryer-safe cooking spray.
- Serve your pizza roll with BBQ sauce or even ranch dressing if you want it with a dipping sauce. You can also dip them in marinara or conventional pizza sauce if you swap out the toppings for pizza.
- In addition to making your pizza dough, you can also utilize crescent canned sheet dough or pizza crust that has been chilled in a can. Whatever bread you choose to use, the BBQ Chicken Pizza roll will be fantastic!
- These rolls were cooked in my air fryer for 6 minutes. Start with a few minutes less than the recipe calls for because every air fryer is different, then add time as needed.
- Consult the manufacturer’s instructions before using any cooking spray in the air fryer. Air fryer parchment paper is one of my favorite things I suggest. If you use a cooking spray safe for air fryers, it makes cleanup simpler but is not required.