Air-fried mummy dogs are a customized Halloween dish. Hot dogs wrapped up in puff pastry to make it look like a mummy. The recipe is easy and fun. The best thing is that you can make it in the air fryer.
It has a less greasy texture compared to deep-fried hot dogs. You can serve air-fried mummies during holidays or at kids’ parties. Kids love to eat them for lunch, dinner, and appetizers too.
Today I’ll discuss this amazing recipe along with some essential cooking details!
Let’s get started!
Here’s the information about all the ingredients you need to make perfect air-fried mummy dogs:
- Puff pastry sheet: Use a ready-made puff pastry sheet. Remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Allow it to warm up at room temperature, so it doesn’t tear when you roll it out.
- Customized eyes: Use raisins or candy to make eyeballs for mommy dogs.
- Non-sticking cooking spray: Oil keeps the hot dogs from sticking to the air fryer basket.
- Hot dogs: Use your favorite brands of canned or fresh hot dogs. Before using canned hot dogs, use a paper towel to drain any wet content.
- American cheese slice: You can get cheese slices of any brand you like: Adams, Happy Cow, or American garden.
- Ketchup or Mayo: Stick the raisins or candy using the mayo mixture to make eyes.
- Use hot sauce and mustard sauce for dipping.
- Preparation step: Preheat the air fryer to 180C (350F). Meanwhile, unroll the pastry puffs and cut them into rectangular cuts measuring 3/8″-1/2″ (9mm-13mm) wide. Then cut each rectangular sheet into 4 cuts lengthwise.
- Cut the cheese slices into halves as well. Then, cut an 8-inch circle of baking parchment paper and put it in the bottom of the air fryer.
- Wrapping hot dogs: Wrap each hot dog with one pastry strip and 1/4 slice of cheese to resemble “bandages” with the strips slightly separated. Leave some space of half an inch for the face.
- The cooking step: Place 3 to 4 wrapped mummy dogs on parchment paper in the air fryer basket. Put the cheese side down. Air fry them for 6–7 minutes or until they become light brown. Turn upside down halfway through cooking.
- Once they’re golden brown, take them out! Then draw eyes with a mustard sauce and stick candy eyes on top.
Serve them with Brioche hot dog rolls. It becomes a whole meal after this combination.
- Be careful not to stack too many layers of hot dogs on one another. This may hinder the lower layer from cooking fully. Cook in batches to get perfect results.
- Apply cooking oil on the mummy dogs and the air fryer basket to avoid the food from sticking.
- It’s better to get jarred hot dogs for this recipe, as raw sausages won’t go well with the recipe. It’d take longer to cook and release water and fat. Moisture can make the rolls soggy.
- Puff pastry should be sliced into strips using a pizza cutter. Later on, divide them into 1-inch-wide pieces.
Note: Air fryer temperatures might vary based on the brand and model. Therefore, it’s crucial to regularly check your food for doneness and modify the air frying time.
These additives pair well with air-fried mummy dogs:
- Cheese Monsters
- Halloween sprinkle cookies
- Green apples
- Halloween bark
- Clementine pumpkins
You can make some modifications to this recipe; such as:
- Swap raisins or candy with cream cheese and ketchup to draw eyes.
- Use small sausages instead of hot dogs to create the loveliest little mummies.
- You can use pizza dough or regular crescent dough instead of puff pastry. Simply cut the crescent sheets into strips and wrap them around the hot dogs.
- Use smaller hot dogs for preparing mini-mummy dogs.
- Apart from the mustard sauce, you can try BBQ sauce and sweet chili sauce for dipping.
How to store air-fried hot dogs?
Wrap the hot dogs in plastic wrap and store them in a refrigerator for a week or two. Reheat in the air fry whenever you want to eat. It’s best to refrigerate them for 3 days to 10 days maximum. Do not freeze; only refrigerate!
Do air-fried hot dogs taste good?
Air-fried mummies taste just like grilled sausages. The air circulates and makes the outside crispy while the inside remains tender and juicy.
At what temperature do you air-fry Hot dogs?
You can easily air-fry Hot Dogs by following these instructions:
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray oil on them and cook for 5 minutes at this temperature. Turn upside down halfway through the cooking.
Air-fried hot dogs turn out crispy, much better than grilling ones.
Can you air fry vegetable hot dogs?
Vegetable hot dogs can be air-fried in just 3 minutes at 390°F (200°C). Depending on the type of vegetable hot dog you are cooking, it may take longer to cook than 3 minutes.
Are air-fried sausages healthy?
Sausages are packed with iron and vitamin B-12. They are necessary for producing healthy red blood cells and hemoglobin. Moreover, vitamin B-12 aids in the metabolism of both fats and proteins!
In addition, sausages contain a significant amount of dietary nutrition (RDA). Air fryers use less oil, making it a perfect healthy protein meal.
How do you air fry frozen hot dogs?
The air fryer cooks frozen hot dogs more quickly than the oven, stovetop, or instant pot.
Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350 degrees F. Put the hot dogs in the air fryer basket. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until they become golden brown.
Does your air fryer need to be preheated?
Preheating aids in the crispiness and even cooking of meals. It also cooks thick slices of fresh and frozen meats like sausages fast.
How to cook mummy dogs in the oven?
First, prepare the mummy dogs according to the above instructions, and then bake them at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes in the oven. Use a baking pan with butter to have a golden brown texture.
How do you toast buns for hot dogs in the air fryer?
Simply place your hot dog buns in the air fryer’s basket and cook for 2 minutes at 400F. Do not preheat the air fryer if you are toasting the buns right after cooking the hot dogs.
Here’s the video about how to cook mummy dogs in the air fryer:
With What Can I Serve My Air Fryer Mummy Dogs?
These mummy dogs work nicely with whatever toppings you choose on your hot dogs. I serve them with a tiny dipping bowl of ketchup and mustard. You can also serve it with a cheese sauce if desired.
If you’re serving these mummies for brunch, I recommend pairing them with eggs, a fruit salad, hash browns, or yogurt with a toppings bar.
Remember to include the dipping sauce! These are delicious with mustard, ketchup, or even Picante sauce.
Can I Use Any Flavor of Hot Dog?
There are numerous flavor options. You can use chicken sausage links, Italian sausage links, and a variety of other links.
For even more possibilities, Oscar Meyer offers Smokies hot dogs and hot dogs loaded with cheese.
Although this meal is suitable for children, it may also be one of those memorable family dinners that the entire family can enjoy.
To conclude, I’d say that,
- Air-fried mummy dogs are the best discoveries I’ve made—air-fry mummy dogs at 350 F for 6 minutes in a few steps. You get the golden brown mummy dogs.
- Cooking sprays help to avoid sticking them to the basket. You can choose BBQ sauce, mustard sauce, and sweet chili sauce for dipping purposes.
- You can draw eyes with any sauce you like, mustard sauce, chili sauce, mayo, cream, or bbq sauce.
- You can use crescent dough or a crescent sheet instead of a puff pastry sheet.
- I’ve discussed some most frequently asked questions too. For better information, give this article another read.
- Fried Pickles in Air Fryer (A Must Try)
- Air Fryer Cornbread (Sweet and Tasty)
- Air Fryer Pigs in a Blanket (Let’s Try it Out)