Everyone loves sweet potato casserole—a perfect dessert for the holidays. But you don’t need to wait for a holiday or a special event to make this dish.
You can make this delicious treat in your air fryer in 15 minutes. All you need is sugar, yams, cinnamon, pecans, and butter. A perfect combination of the right texture and flavors.
Let’s get to the details!
How To Make Sweet Potato Casserole In The Air Fryer?
Although yams, pecans, butter, and cinnamon develop the taste, there are other significant ingredients you need for this recipe.
Here is a detailed list of all of them.
- 1 cup of yams or 2 pounds of cubed sweet potatoes.
- ½ cup white sugar to add sweetness and 1 teaspoon brown sugar for topping.
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup of skimmed or low-fat milk.
- Air-fried canned pecans are the best for this recipe.
- A few drops of vanilla essence or ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract to add flavor.
- 2 tbsp of ground nutmeg to add a warm taste to the casseroles.
- 5-10 mini marshmallows are used for topping (Optional)
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour or rice flour
You can add or subtract any ingredient according to your taste buds.
To start with the recipe, follow these simple instructions:
- Preparing the air fryer: First of all, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Blending the ingredients: Combine the sweet potatoes, whisked eggs, salt, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, milk & butter in a medium mixing bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the ingredients and give a thorough mixing!
- Preparing pecans: Put the pecans in a food processor and grind them for topping. Grind them until they are broken down into tiny pieces.
- Pour the mixture: Coat the casserole dish with non-sticking cooking spray or brush with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Fill the dish with the sweet potato mixture. You can use a springform pan for this purpose too.
- Once filled, place the dish or springform pan into the air fryer’s basket. Then, put the crushed pecans onto top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Into the air fryer: Set the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- The Final Step: Carefully remove the springform pan from the air fryer pan. Let the casserole cool down. Serve it as a sweet dish or as a side meal!
- Topping the casserole: Use marshmallows to give a tasty topping to the air-fried casserole. After adding the marshmallows, air fry them at 350 degrees for 2 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown.
As marshmallows are light and airy, they can blow up in the air fryer. To be safe, use them straight into the casserole mixture instead of using them as a topping.
- Pecans are a unique topping idea for this recipe. Walnuts are a great option too!
- You can make this sweet potato casserole a few days before serving! To do so, simply prepare the sweet potato mixture, and incorporate it into the dish. Then cover it in plastic wrap to store it in the fridge for up to a few days before serving. This saves time and effort!
- Prepare your topping ingredients and store them in the fridge in a zip-lock bag. Add the topping to your casserole shortly before baking.
Here’s a complete guide on how to air-fry sweet baked casseroles!
Health Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious. They are categorized as starchy root vegetables, a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- They also include many antioxidants, which protect your body against chronic illness and any harm caused by free radicals.
- They are rich in fiber content. Therefore, they help form healthy gut floras, which boosts the immune system.
- The Beta-carotenes present in potatoes acts as a visual aid for eye health.
- Beta-carotene is found significantly in sweet potatoes. It is a powerful antioxidant that interchanges to vitamin A. Vitamin A helps to fight against harmful foreign organisms and helps in boosting your immune system.
All in all, we can easily include sweet potatoes in our diet. They can be baked, boiled, roasted, fried, steamed, pan-cooked, or eaten with or without the skin.
One serving of sweet potato casserole contains almost 353 calories. These calories are further divided into the as:
Can we freeze sweet potato casserole?
Yes! You can easily store the sweet potato casserole. It comes in handy, and you will save cooking time.
First, bake the casserole on foil paper following the above recipe. Don’t add toppings to it. Allow it to cool down to room temperature. Then wrap the casserole dish in foil paper and put it in the freezer.
You can store this base for up to three months. Whenever you crave this sweet treat, thaw it first in the refrigerator. Then add toppings and reheat in an air fryer or oven.
How to reheat sweet potato casserole in the air fryer?
Reheat the leftover casserole in the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let it air fry for 2-3 minutes. Even heat circulation warms up the casserole. It tastes as yummy as a fresh one.
What can we pair alongside sweet baked casseroles?
Various fruits can be served alongside air-fried casseroles. Sliced pineapples, blueberries, cherries, and apples give a unique blend to this dish. It adds strong flavor with a colorful texture.
Are yam and sweet potato the same?
No! Yams and sweet potatoes are two different food items.
Sweet potatoes are sweeter and more orange in color than yams. Sweet potatoes and yams differ primarily in terms of their flavor, color, and texture on the inside.
Yams are starchier and yellow in the middle. Sweet potatoes have more health benefits than yams. It’s better to use sweet potatoes for this recipe.
Why are my air-fried sweet potatoes soggy?
Entrapped moisture causes sweet potato fries to become soggy. Be sure to pat dry the potatoes before using them.
Overcrowding the air fryer basket leads to moisture buildup as well. Leaving significant spaces helps in even cooking.
Should sweet potatoes be soaked before roasting?
Before starting any sweet potato recipe, soaking the potatoes is a must. This helps to draw excessive carbohydrates and moisture.
After soaking, pat dries the potatoes and dust them with spices. Coat them with cornstarch for extra crunch.
Other Sweet Potato Casserole Toppings
While I think the pecan crumble topping is the finest way to serve this easy vegan sweet potato recipe, there are several other options if you don’t like pecans or need to serve nut-free meals.
Other sweet potato casserole toppings to consider:
- Coconut flakes
How Do You Serve A Sweet Potato Casserole?
After you’ve finished making your pecan streusel topping, all that’s left to do is combine everything.
First, evenly distribute the pecan crumble topping over the top of your sweet potatoes, but if necessary, spread it out with your hands.
Finally, bake the sweet potato casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through and the center is set.
- Air-fried sweet potato casseroles are one of the best dishes! They are fantastic with short cooking times. Air fry this sweet dish for no more than 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Yams can be utilized in place of sweet potatoes, but sweet potatoes give a better taste. They have a lot of health benefits.
- Marshmallows can be used to top the casserole along with pecans and walnuts. It depends on your preferred toppings.
- This dish is served for Thanksgiving in different areas of America.