Shrimp is one of my favorite foods, and these keto-friendly shrimp are tasty as they are crispy, juicy, and delicious. They are also a perfect choice for a delicious family dinner and, most importantly, are healthy.
This dish is great if you’re looking for something quick, tasty, easy, and sure to impress because it is a simple recipe. It’s the perfect recipe for a weeknight meal or a quick appetizer!
You can prepare shrimp in nearly any way, including fried, grilled, poached, broiled, sautéed, stir-fried, etc. It has a lot of protein and fewer calories.
It only takes 20 minutes to cook this recipe, which is suitable for raw shrimp and is also keto-friendly.
Keep on reading the article to find a simple keto shrimp dish:
What is Shrimp?
Shrimp is seafood, that adds taste and nutrients to your diet whether they are farmed, wild, frozen, or fresh. Shrimp can be used in a variety of ways to get an extra dose of nutrition.
Shrimp is a versatile food ingredient, that may be used as the main dish as well as an ingredient in soups, salads, and appetizers. You can eat shrimp steamed, boiled, barbecued, fried, sautéed, poached, or baked.
- Coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- 3 eggs
- Coconut flour (seasoned)
- Coconut flakes (unseasoned)
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, add shrimp, coconut milk, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne and mix well.
Step 2: In the second bowl, beats the egg well.
Step 3: In one tray, add the coconut flour and season with all the spices.
Step 4: Spread coconut flakes in another tray and do not season them.
Step 5: Put each shrimp in the coconut mixture and take off the extra coating; dip in egg and coat in coconut flakes, and again dip in egg then again in flakes for better coating. Put it in the try, Spray with butter.
Step 6: Spray the fryer and place shrimp in a single layer into an air fryer basket, and heat at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 10–12 minutes. Flip halfway through.
Note: Do not crowd your air fryer basket or tray. The best way to fry them is to let a little space between them. You may need to cook them in batches according to the size of the shrimp.
Here’s a video of the Air fryer spicy coconut shrimp recipe:
- Use raw shrimp with the shell on the tail. Avoid using butterflies or those with the back cut off. They’ll dehydrate.
- While cooking, turn the shrimp to the other side to make them equally crispy on both sides.
- To coat the shrimp well with the spice mixture, place them in a sealable bag with the spices.
- To make shrimp, crispy and juicy, leave some spaces while placing them in the air fryer.
- If we have smaller shrimp, cooking time should be minimized to prevent overcooking and toughening.
- To make shrimp more appetizing, add Parmesan cheese, garlic butter, and Italian spice to the shrimp. A creamy garlic sauce can be used as a dip as well.
- For a unique twist, season this air fryer shrimp recipe with salt, red pepper flakes, and a splash of lemon juice. Yum!
- To produce delicious sweet, crisp, and tender shrimp, combine it with a low-carb sweetener of your choice.
While shrimp is packed with certain nutrients, there are two more crucial omega-3s and the antioxidant astaxanthin. The nutrition table below will describe the nutrients in air fryer coconut shrimp.
Serving size: 100g
Total Calories: 119
|Total fat: 1.7g
|Trans fat: 0g
|Saturated fat: 0.5g
|Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
|Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
|Total Carbohydrate: 1.5g
|Dietary fiber: 0g
What to Serve with air fryer coconut shrimp?
This recipe for shrimp can be served as a side dish or an appetizer.
I love eating shrimp with my chosen sauce, such as buffalo sauce, BBQ sauce, bang bang sauce, or a simple ranch dressing. If you want something spicy, try the sauce made with African peppers.
The best option to serve these keto air fryer shrimp is with:
- alfredo zoodles
- air fryer asparagus
- other veggies
How long and what temperature is suggested to air fry shrimp?
The time needed to cook the shrimp will vary depending on their size. Large shrimp may need to cook a little longer. In this recipe, I used medium raw shrimp.
The fryer must be preheated at 400 F/200 C. Distribute the frozen shrimp evenly before adding them to the basket or fryer tray. You may have to prepare them in two batches. Shake the pan midway through cooking for 8 to 10 minutes.
Can you put frozen shrimp in the air fryer?
It is perfectly safe to put frozen shrimp in your air fryer. Like this easy and fast air fryer recipe, frozen shrimp did not need to be thawed before being fried by air.
The air fryer runs by circulating hot air to the ingredients to cook them so that the shrimp has been thawed and immediately fries in the air fryer.
How do I store and reheat leftover fried shrimp?
Refrigerate leftover fried shrimp in a shallow, airtight container for up to 2 days.
My favorite way to freeze them is to put the shrimp on a sheet in the freezer for about two hours. This will ensure that each shrimp freezes without sticking together. After that, I put them in an airtight freezer bag and froze them for months.
To warm the shrimp, place them again in the prepared frying basket and cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 minutes. Add one extra minute if needed.
Is Shrimp good for health?
Yes, if done properly and consumed in moderation. Shrimp has a low calorie, carbohydrate, and fat content, but is abundant in protein and vital micronutrients.
- Shrimps are an excellent food option to help you lose weight. Shrimp is a great choice for reducing bad fats in your diet.
- Shrimp has good lipids, including omega-3 fatty acids, that can decrease blood pressure.
- Shrimp is an excellent meal for diabetics because it contains little sugar and carbohydrate.
- Consuming a wide range of seafood during pregnancy is linked to better brain development in babies compared to eating no seafood
How is shrimp keto-friendly?
The answer is yes. Shrimp are acceptable keto food. Having only 1.8g of total fat per 100g serving, they are low in carbohydrates.
Additionally, they are a cornerstone of a healthy and well-balanced keto diet and are nutrient-dense, including in terms of protein.
If you choose shrimp over the same quantity of steak or cheese, you’ll cut almost 90% of the saturated fats. The amount of saturated fat in 3 ounces of shrimp is less than 0.1%.
What Foods Complement Keto Coconut Shrimp?
If you’re trying to stick to your Keto diet, serve Keto-friendly side dishes like:
- Zucchini noodles
- Red potato salad
- Brussel sprouts
- Green beans
How Much Time Is Ideal For Cooking Keto Coconut Shrimp?
Coconut shrimp should be fried in an air fryer for 8-10 minutes at 380°F.
Due to the varied wattages of air fryers, they may take slightly less or more time to thoroughly cook. It’s usually a good idea to test a few before you cook them the first time to ensure you have the correct time for your air fryer.
Any “hanging” coconut from the shrimp will likely brown as well. That’s perfectly normal and easily removed once the shrimp are fully cooked.
- This recipe for shrimp can be served as a side dish or an appetizer.
- You can prepare shrimp in nearly any way, including fried, grilled, poached, broiled, sautéed, stir-fried
- Shrimp has a low calorie, carbohydrate, and fat content, but is abundant in protein and vital micronutrients.
- They are also a perfect choice for a delicious family dinner and, most importantly, are healthy.