The ketogenic diet and air fryers are a perfect combination. Following a keto diet also requires many modifications to your daily intake. You can’t eat anything or everything.
Using an air fryer gives relief from the boredom of dry dishes. Numerous keto recipes can be tried in the air fryer, guaranteeing a low-carb, air-fried version of your tasty meals.
In this blog, you’ll learn how to make these 5-best keto-friendly recipes in an air fryer.
So, let’s get to it already!
What Is the Function of an Air Fryer?
Air fryers use circulating hot air technology to cook.
It pumps hot air over the dish to get the same crispiness as traditional fried cuisine. Air fryers accomplish this objective by removing high-fat, high-calorie oil from the food preparation process.
With just one tablespoon of cooking oil, you can achieve the same results as a deep food fryer while using a fraction of the calories. It removes moisture from food by using hot air with fine droplets of oil. The air fryer, like many other cooking methods, causes a chemical reaction that improves the flavor and color of the meal.
How Keto Are Air Fryer Recipes?
The act of air frying DOES NOT decrease carbohydrates. However, it DOES provide you with a wide variety of recipes that you would normally be unable to enjoy on a low-carb diet.
There are several reasons why you should use an air fryer on your keto diet.
Air fryers can help you prepare nutritious meals without using toxic oils. They also cook meals faster, which is beneficial if you want to minimize calories and eat low-carb.
1. Air-Fried Mahi-Mahi Recipe
Unlike any other fish, Mahi Mahi is considerably thin in size. It is beneficial for hair and nails as it contains omega-3 fatty acids.
Air-fried Mahi-Mahi fish recipe combines crispy and gently seasoned coating. A perfect combination of tastes and textures. It’s good to go for a healthy and quick keto dinner!
The best part is that the recipe needs only 3 ingredients and is cooked within 15 minutes! That’s just great, isn’t it?
- Filet of Mahi-Mahi (either fresh or frozen)
- Taco seasoning
- For cooking, you’ll also need a cooking spray or olive oil.
Directions for Cooking
If you don’t have taco seasoning, you can make your seasoning using paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, sugar, and salt.
- Don’t forget to thaw the fish if it’s frozen.
- First, pat the fish with a paper towel to dry it up. After that, drizzle the Mahi Mahi with olive oil and rub it thoroughly with taco seasoning.
- Once your fish has been seasoned, put it in the air fryer basket and cook it for 10 minutes at 400 °F. Cook it until it flakes easily.
- Make sure you evenly cover both sides.
- After 10 minutes, check the texture and internal temperature. To be safe to eat, the Mahi Mahi’s internal temperature must be 137 F. You can check this with the help of an instant-read thermometer.
Once it is cooked properly, take it out and let it cool down for a few minutes. Finally, serve with either rice or tortilla. To make them even more appealing, consider preparing a batch of black bean and corn salsa to go with them.
What Can We Serve with Mahi-Mahi Fish?
- Taco Serving: You can serve it with tacos. This is one of my favorite choices. Or, just flake the air-fried Mahi Mahi, then serve it with salsa and avocado on a warm tortilla made with almond flour.
- Serve it with a salad: A straightforward salad like this one with kale and apples that have been massaged goes great with Mahi-Mahi.
- Roasted veggies. Fish tastes especially good when served with your favorite crunchy roasted vegetables! Brussels sprouts and cauliflower are also options. Prepare some air-fried Brussels sprouts and instant pot mashed cauliflower to go with your Mahi Mahi for a quick and stunning meal.
- Serve alongside Panini: Serve your fish fillet with Panini, an Italian bread sandwich. You can add fresh tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and mashed avocado to the sandwich.
2. Air-Fried Chicken Thigh
Keto meals should be paleo and gluten-free for a healthy outcome. Air-fried chicken thighs with the bone are ideal for a filling meal with few calories yet keep you full for longer.
To start with the recipe, you’ll just need
- chicken thighs (500gms)
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
Directions for Cooking
- First, preheat the air fryer to 380 F.
- Then season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper and drizzle them with olive oil. Next, add the onion powder, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning to a small bowl.
- Rub the spice seasoning on the chicken.
- Next, put the chicken thighs into the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 12 minutes, flipping after 6 to 7 minutes of cooking. When using a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature. It should be 165 degrees F for the thighs to be ready.
Before serving, let the chicken rest at room temperature for a few minutes. Finally, add some fresh parsley as a garnish and serve!
Air-fried chicken thigh has a crispy, tender, buttery exterior and a soft interior. It is simple to prepare and a perfect addition to keto-friendly recipes.
You can use chicken breast instead of chicken thigh; both have almost the same calories and nutrient values.
3. Air Fryer Jalapeno Peppers Wrapped With Bacon
Bacon-wrapped jalapeno peppers are healthy and nutritious when air fried. They give immense pleasure to your taste buds. It’s a keto-friendly diet that is suitable for all age groups.
- 12 red Jalapeno peppers
- 12 thinly sliced bacon slices
- 1/2 cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tablespoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of onion powder
Directions for Cooking
- Cut the jalapenos in half after removing their stems. Scoop out the seeds from the membranes.
- Add cream cheese, salt, and shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl. Then add black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Use a small spoon to fill the cheese mixture into each jalapeno.
- At 350 degrees, preheat your air fryer for 3 minutes.
- Each bacon slice should be cut in half. Wrap one piece of bacon around each half of a jalapeno. Next, add them in a single layer in the air fryer basket! Ensure they don’t touch each other.
- Cook bacon wraps in an air fryer at 350 degrees for 14 to 16 minutes or until thoroughly done.
Enjoy the jalapeno-wrapped bacon with rice, or you can store it for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Here’s the breakdown of nutrients in one serving of Jalapeno-peppers wrapped with bacon. It contains 188 calories in total.
4. Air-Fried Sausage Balls
Sausage cheese balls are a popular breakfast choice for keto folks. You can prepare these in advance and freeze them. Then, pop them into your air fryer when ready for a savory snack. Unlike other boring breakfasts, this one is keto-friendly and delightful.
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 diced onions
- dried celery
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
Directions for Cooking
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl: ground sausages, egg, cheddar cheese, black pepper, diced onions, celery, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Make 1-inch balls out of a sausage mixer.
- Put the balls in the basket of the air fryer.
- Set the temperature to 400 F and cook for 12 minutes or until they become golden brown.
- During cooking, shake the basket two or three times.
- Keep in mind that the sausage balls should have an internal temperature of at least 145°F when fully cooked.
Serve hot with your favorite dip sauce.
5. Air-Fried Turkey Bacon
Next and last on our list is turkey bacon. If you don’t like pork and prefer 0 net carbs, then this recipe is perfect for you!
Turkey bacon cooked in the air fryer is a quick, protein-rich meal. It is also a low-carb and keto-friendly diet. It fulfills your daily requirement for protein. Plus, it just takes ten minutes to prepare.
To start, you’ll need 4 turkey bacon strips
Take 4 turkey bacon strips that are lightly seasoned and marinated. You can marinate it with corn flour, eggs, salt, and pepper. Adding chili flakes gives extra flavor.
After preparing them, you can freeze them and cook them whenever and however you like.
Directions for Cooking
- On an air frying tray, arrange the turkey bacon in a single layer. You can cut the strips in half before putting them in the air fryer.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes at 375 F in an air fry, flipping halfway through. If you prefer crispier bacon, feel free to extend the cooking time by a few minutes.
Your choice of eggs, fruit, or anything else can go with your turkey bacon. Read the detailed recipe here.
To conclude, I’d like to say;
- Plenty of recipes support a ketogenic diet lifestyle that you can make in your air fryer.
- You can cook bone-in chicken thighs, sausages, turkeys, and bacon-wrapped jalapeno peppers.
- Serve Brussels, parsley, mint, and spinach along with these keto-friendly dishes. They work great to give biotin and fatty acids that prevent hair loss while you carry out the keto-friendly diet.
- There are some cooking measures to keep in mind. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of your dish for proper cooking.