Sopapillas are one of the most popular and delicious pastries out there.
I mean you can’t go wrong with a sweet flaky, and crunchy fried pastry dough dish with powdered sugar sprinkled on top, simply just mouth-watering, and honey served on the side makes this dish into a next-level dish.
This type of pastry originated in Mexico and is a very popular dish among Mexicans and the French.
This type of dish is not only served as a dessert but can also be served as entrees, whether sweet or salty.
However, the most popular Sopapillas are the sweet ones. If you don’t know, Sopapillas look like French Beignets.
According to many people, they taste exactly like a classy American Donut.
Sopapillas are usually deep fried in oil with calories 390 and are not so healthy.
You can make sopapillas in an Air Fryer as the use of Air Fryer is being popular day by day and not only that, it is much healthier and easier.
You can cook and also preheat your Sopapillas in the air fryer with the perfect temperature and cooking time giving you almost the same feeling as deep frying.
How Does An Air Fryer Work?
It is very important to know how an air fryer works or it could turn out to be a disaster for you.
The main concept behind using an air fryer is that the top portion of an air fryer has a heating system and a fan as well.
The first thing you do is place the food inside the air fryer basket, and as soon as you turn it on the hot air dashes down surrounding your food.
This will help your food to be crisper like deep-frying, but using less or no oil makes your food much healthier.
Is using an Air fryer worth it or not?
Air Fryer is proven to be very handy and healthy in the cooking world but like other appliances, it is not perfect. It also has some drawbacks, let’s see the pros and cons below.
|It’s easy to clean
|It’s easy to use
|It can’t hold much food in it
|It’s safe to use
|Can’t cater to the need of a large family
|It prepares healthier meals while using less or no oil
|Due to its high hot temperature, it can burn food easily
Can Air Fryer cause Cancer?
Although there are many mixed results and studies on whether the use of air fryers can cause cancer or not.
So yeah using an air fryer can increase the risk of cancer.
But to avoid the risk of cancer, check out this video below which tells you how you can reduce cancer risk.
Best Foods to Cook in an Air Fryer?
There are many foods that you can cook in an air fryer like:
- You can make juicy and tasty burgers
- You can make crispy French Fries
- It can cook crispy bacon
- It can roast rotisserie chicken
- It can also make soft and crispy potato
- It is also used to reheat left over to make them taste good and fresh.
What Is the Reason Behind Sopapillas not Puffing up?
Despite being a delicious pastry, it is not easy to make them especially if you don’t know how to puff them. You will be left with flat, not crispy, and a bit dry Sopapillas.
I mean who will ever wish to eat these sad Sopapillas?
The trick behind making them crispy and delicious is to know how to puff them.
If they are not puffing it means the temperature of the oil may need to be decreased or increased depending on the environmental temperature It could get a little tricky to get the right temperature.
Once you got the proper temperatures put your Sopapillas inside the oil and once they are brown flip it to the other side and you will have your perfect crispy and puffy Sopapillas.
What Exactly Are Sopapillas?
Sopapillas are a type of quick bread that is typically deep-fried until golden brown and puffy.
This pastry is often served with sweet condiments, but it can also be used in a variety of savory dishes.
A sopapilla is simply a combination of all-purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, oil, and water. Do you recognize these ingredients?
They should because these are the same ingredients used to make bread! Sopapillas are considered a type of fried bread and an excellent breakfast item in many regions.
Sopapillas are traditionally made by first preparing the dough by mixing all of the ingredients and then kneading the dough.
After the dough has been formed, it is flattened with a rolling pin. The thin circular dough is then cut into four equal parts with a pizza cutter or knife.
The pastries are then fried in hot oil until they puff up and turn a golden brown color.
Sopapillas Air Frying
Air frying these pastries is a great way to save calories and make a healthier breakfast item than deep-fried sopapillas, but keep a few things in mind!
The presence of baking powder and hot oil causes these pastries to puff up. When baking powder is exposed to heat and oil, it reacts and emits carbon dioxide, rapidly expanding the pastry from the inside out.
The trapped air inside the pastry cooks it from within, while the hot oil penetrates and cooks the pastry’s exterior.
This doubling-cooking effect gives sopapillas their signature flakiness and allows them to keep their shape even when cool.
Can you cook Sopapillas in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook Sopapillas with the help of an air fryer, just like deep frying it at the right temperature.
You can cook and preheat your Sopapillas in the air fryer at the perfect temperature and cooking time giving you almost the same feeling as deep-fried Sopapillas except that they are much healthier.
How Can You Cook Sopapillas With An Air Fryer?
The perfect way you can cook your Sopapillas in an air fryer is given below:
- The first thing is to roll your dough balls.
- Then preheat your air fryer to exact 370 degrees, based on the size of the air fryer put 4 to 8 Sopapillas in the air fryer at a time.
- Then cook your Sopapillas for 3 minutes on each side and take them out, keep doing this to all your Sopapillas until all of them are cooked.
- Cook a little long on the 2nd side if you do flip them.
- With the high temperature, Sopapillas quickly cook from their external surface and rise from trapped inner steam.
- And there you have it, your perfect and puffy Sopapillas.
How To Cook Buñuelos in Air Fryer?
Cooking Buñuelos can be a little tough if you are a newbie. So, follow the steps below to get it cooked easily.
- Leaving the chip whole or into a triangle is totally up to your choice.
- Before cooking, grease your air fryer with avocado oil and one tablespoon of cinnamon sugar cookie seasoning.
- Add some tortillas to the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees temperature for 6-8 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Once they are done, you may transfer them into a bowl and sprinkle some more cinnamon sugar cookie seasoning.
Are Sopapillas and Beignets the Same?
According to many people, Sopapillas have exactly the same shape as Beignets
However, according to taste, they don’t taste like a beignet rather they taste more like a classy American Donut.
That is why some people are always confused between Sopapillas and Beignets because of their identical shapes.
To be very precise, they both are not alike. Although they both have some similarities, such as they both are made up of flour, there are several differences between Sopapillas and Beignets.
Sopapillas are soft and when they cook they puff up like a pillow. However, Beignets are flaky and crispy and when they are fried they are completely flat.
In short, yes it is possible to cook Sopapillas with an Air Fryer.
- The key to cooking perfect Sopapillas is to select the right temperature whether you deep fry or air fry them.
- Sopapillas are similar to beignet but they taste like a classic American Donut.
- Not only Sopapillas, but you can also cook many other things in an air fryer.
- The air fryer cooks or reheats your food with its hot air mechanism.
- Despite being healthy, it has a risk of cancer.