But, it takes half of the time for an air fryer to cook frozen items as compared to an oven and it gives you an amazing crispy texture that would be loved by everyone!
The frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer are very simple to make and they are going to satisfy your sweet tooth and your cravings for restaurant-style sweet potato fries.
So, here I’m going to tell you a method to cook frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer that you would surely love.
Let’s get started.
- A packet of frozen sweet potato fries
- Olive oil (optional)
- Step 1 – Preheat your air fryer first at 400° F for 5-7 minutes. If your air fryer doesn’t have preheat button, just turn it on at 400° F.
- Step 2 – Now, put frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer basket in a single layer without overcrowding the basket then add a little bit of olive oil as per your desire. It would make the fries crispy.
- Step 3 – Now let it cook for 10-12 minutes at 400° F and don’t forget to shake the basket or flip the fries halfway through cooking.
- Step 4 – Once done, take out, serve and enjoy.
I would recommend you to cook fries at a lower temperature than 400° F – 375°F because cooking 1-2 minutes longer would result in crispy fries which are tender from the center.
You can also check out the following video to learn how to make frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer.
- Keep a close eye on the air fryer while cooking frozen sweet potato fries because cooking time may need to be adjusted according to the thickness of the fries and air fryer model.
- Never forget to shake the basket or flip the fries halfway because it will ensure they are evenly cooked and crisp.
- If you want to make fries in larger quantities then it’s better to cook in small batches and not to overcrowd the basket as air can flow properly to cook food.
- You can always adjust the seasoning as per your liking before air frying the frozen sweet potato fries. It can be sprinkled with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika powder, and any other herb you like.
- If you want crispy fries, shake the basket more than one time as the fries in the bottom remain soft until the basket is shaken up.
Nutritional Content of Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
What are the dos and don’t of cooking frozen sweet potato fries in an Air fryer?
- Don’t thaw frozen fries before air frying because thawed fries don’t cook properly and they turn out soggy as the moisture sits on the surface of fries.
- Do remember to preheat the air fryer before putting fries in it. Some air fryers preheat quickly while others take some time.
- Do remember to shake the basket or flip the fries in between cooking to make them crispy and crunchy.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer, as it gives potential results when air flows properly around the food. So it’s better to fill it in half, a 9-ounce bag works great. If you have more fries to cook, cook them in batches.
A small portion of sweet potato fries cooks way faster than a big portion as an air fryer works on the convection heat method which requires hot air to circulate the food to cook it evenly. So if you’re planning to cook a full bag (16-20 ounces) it would take around 18 minutes and if you’re making half (9 ounces) it would take around 12 minutes.
Why should you make frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer?
Air fryers cut down calories and fat by a large amount than using deep fryers, this is the main reason to choose an air fryer over any other kitchen appliance because it is healthy. However, there are many other reasons as well to make frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer:
- It gives you a crispy texture
- Air fryer sweet potato fries are even crispier than deep-fried ones.
- Unlike the oven, the air fryer does not heat your house.
- It’s quick to cook
- Fits perfectly as a side dish or snack.
What is the cooking time of different frozen sweet potato fries in an air fryer?
There are different types and styles of frozen sweet potato fries easily available in grocery shops. Here are the different cooking times to cook different types of frozen fries in the air fryer.
- Straight fries – This style is the basic style of french fries, it takes about 17 minutes to cook a 16-20 ounce bag of fries.
- Crinkle fries- These are thick fries with ridged cut as they are crispy from the outside and soft from the inside, it takes a similar time to straight fries to cook in an air fryer which is about 17-18 minutes.
- String style fries- These are very thin fries that come with and without seasoning and they are cooked quickly in the air fryer, it would take 12 minutes to cook them.
- Waffle-type fries- This type of fries looks like a waffle, comes in seasoning and without seasoning too and it takes about 18 minutes to cook. Also, note that these fries can be easily broken so toss them gently.
How to add seasoning to frozen sweet potato fries so that it sticks?
You might have faced a similar situation while air frying froze sweet potato fries because when you put seasoning in fries while they are frozen, it falls off.
Putting seasoning on fries when they are hot also results in falling off because it doesn’t sit.
The right time to put salt and seasoning in frozen sweet potato fries is when they are three minutes into cooking as the fry’s surface is soft so seasoning sticks well.
However, some brands of frozen sweet potato fries do come pre-salted which doesn’t require salt. But, if you want to, you can add salt to taste.
Also, if you want to add other seasonings, here are some of the seasoning suggestions.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried Rosemary
- Chicken seasoning
What Is the Best Method to Reheat Sweet Potato Fries?
Nothing is worse than eating crispy fries one day only to microwave them the next, resulting in a floppy mess.
Reheating sweet potato fries in your air fryer can restore their crispness from the day before and make them taste just as fantastic.
Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and cook the fries for 2-3 minutes, or until they are hot.
Are Frozen Sweet Potato Fries Healthy?
Sweet potato fries are an excellent healthier alternative for dinner.
They’re high in nutrients and also apply to frozen sweet potatoes.
While frozen sweet potato fries are packed in oils and salt, air frying them reduces the amount of oil used in comparison to deep frying.
Frozen sweet potato fries are easy to cook in the air fryer and are healthy so you can eat them as much as you want without being guilty of adding calories to your diet.
- There are different types of frozen fries available at the grocery shop which have different cooking timings.
- You need to shake the basket more than once to get the crispier sweet potato fries.
- Frozen sweet potato fries are cooked at 400°F but it is better to cook them at a little lower temperature of 375° F to make them crispy and to ensure evenly cooked.
- The correct way to put salt and seasoning so that it doesn’t come off in frozen sweet potato fries is three minutes into cooking as moisture allows the seasoning to stick properly.