Frozen fried green tomatoes are an extremely crispy and quick meal. It’s a classic southern dish. Air fryers have been a fantastic alternative to a healthy meal, using very little oil to fry frozen green tomatoes! It takes half the effort and time to cook them in the air fryer compared to the oven.
Air-fried green tomatoes are crispy on the exterior with a juicy interior! You can have it for lunch, as a hamburger filling, or as a side dish at a tea party!
Today, we’ll discuss the recipe for air-fried green tomatoes from scratch! You’ll learn the easiest and fastest recipe to air-fry frozen green tomatoes in the air fryer!
Let’s get to the details!
Here are the ingredients for making a delicious fried green tomato from scratch.
- 4 large green tomatoes: Choose your tomatoes carefully. Opt for solid, soft-bottomed tomatoes for this recipe.
- 1 cup flour: Flour is combined with breadcrumbs and cornmeal to make a crunchy surface.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal and breadcrumbs are added side by side with the milk and eggs to make the coating crispy!
- You can use eggs, breadcrumbs, and panko for a gluten-free recipe.
- 2 eggs and 1/4 cup milk: Eggs and milk help the coating adhere properly. They are the base of a crispy surface.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons grated parmesan: These ingredients help enhance the flavor of fried green tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning: Prepare homemade Italian seasoning for a fantastic taste and incredible flavor. Make it from scratch, or use what you have on hand!
How to Prepare Fried Green Tomatoes In An Air Fryer?
- Prepare Tomatoes
First, wash the green tomatoes and cut them into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Season them with salt and pepper, and then dry them with the help of a paper towel. Dry after adding the seasonings because salt adds moisture.
After that, combine the panko, cornmeal, and parmesan in a small dish and stir it thoroughly to make the coating mixture.
Preheat the air fryer and prepare the green tomatoes. Whisk two eggs and milk in a small bowl. Add flour, salt, pepper, and cornmeal to another bowl. Season the green tomatoes with salt, flour, and pepper, and then coat them with breadcrumbs.
You can skip the next step and put these coated green tomatoes in the freezer overnight. To freeze them, place them in a zip-lock bag or an airtight container. Keep them in the freezer overnight!
You can air fry your food later by proceeding to the next step!
- Air fry
Line the air fryer basket with a baking sheet or parchment paper. Spray the tomatoes with olive oil and place them in the air fryer basket. Cook in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking process.
Your air-fried crispy green tomatoes are ready! Enjoy them with your favorite sauce!
This video will help you learn more about air-fried green tomatoes:
Air fryers are an amazing alternative to cooking a variety of dishes. Here are some recommendations to get effective results:
- Never overcrowd the air fryer basket. This is a general recipe for all sorts of foods. Overcrowding leads to uneven cooking! The green tomatoes will be browned in some areas and raw in others.
- Air fryers come with their instructions, so follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Some air fryers might cook this dish in 8 minutes, while others might take 15 minutes.
- Use oils with high smoke points, such as grapeseed, avocado, coconut, or olive oil.
- Don’t overdo it when coating green tomatoes in the egg-flour mixture.
- Shake the food halfway through the cooking process. Never leave the furnace running unattended.
One serving of air-fried green tomatoes contains 186 kcal. Here is detailed information regarding the number of nutrients per serving!
What is a green tomato?
There are two types of tomatoes: unripe and fully ripe. Green tomatoes are those that are not fully ripened. They’re also known as “heirlooms.” They are green in color and have a sweet, tangy flavor.
They don’t disintegrate or turn soggy while slicing or cooking! It’s the best thing about them. This recipe works best for green, unripe tomatoes.
Why do green tomatoes come out soggy?
The tomatoes become soggy if the temperature is not right.
They can get burned if the temperature is above 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Similarly, they’ll accumulate moisture if heated below 200 degrees Fahrenheit and become soggy.
Keep the air fryer’s temperature between 300 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal results.
How can I freeze leftovers and reheat them?
It’s recommended to eat the air-fried green tomatoes the same day you cook them! But you can reheat the leftovers to make them crispy again!
Store leftovers in the freezer or refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply place parchment paper in a tray and put air-fried tomatoes on it. Place them in an airtight bag and refrigerate for 1 hour at least.
Set your air fryer to 350 degrees for reheating. Place the frozen green tomatoes in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-6 minutes!
Are there any health risks of consuming green tomatoes?
You might have heard that “excess of everything is bad,” and so is the case with green tomatoes.
Tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants belong to the nightshade plant family. They contain toxic solanine when consumed in high amounts, So a normal amount of solanine is not harmful, but an excess of green tomatoes might cause health risks.
It’ll take a lot of tomatoes for you to get sick! All in all, 4 green tomatoes are okay if eaten once or twice a month.
Can we use red tomatoes for this recipe?
Choose green tomatoes with tight skin to make chopping easier. Red tomatoes might fall apart when you reach the coating step. Their softness will make this recipe a mess.
Firm tomatoes are best, not mushy ones! Choose green tomatoes that are not near turning red or yellow!
Which dips pair well with air-fried green tomatoes?
Here are some suggestions for dipping sauces with air-fried green tomatoes:
- Mcdonald’s Tangy BBQ sauce
- Alfredo dip sauce
- French onion dip
- Garlic-mayo dip
- Southern comeback sauce
- Homemade blue-cheese dressing
Can Fried Green Tomatoes Be Frozen Before Frying?
To freeze these southern fried green tomatoes, follow the recipe up until the point where the tomatoes are supposed to be fried.
Instead of cooking them, place them on a baking sheet and freeze them. Once the breaded tomato slices have been set, place them in a Ziplock bag.
Is It Possible To Cook Frozen Tomatoes?
Because frozen tomatoes become mushy when thawed, they are best utilized in prepared recipes such as soups, sauces, and stews.
To utilize the frozen tomatoes, take a few out at a time or all at once and use them in any cooked-tomato dish.
- Frozen-fried green tomatoes taste amazing! Air fryers give you an immense flavor of green tomatoes wrapped in two different coatings that make them crunchy!
- Green tomatoes are fully ripe tomatoes that turn green in color. It’s suitable for this recipe as they can resist two layers of coating, which red tomatoes can’t! Pick the firm ones and make 1/4-inch slices.
- They’ll taste the same after reheating as they did the day you made them. Keep them in an airtight container to avoid moisture.
- Frozen fried tomatoes come in handy for unexpected guests and small tea parties! They’re delicious for lunch and as a side dish for dinner!