Making fish in the air fryer is one the best ways to cook the crispiest fish which is tender from the inside because who doesn’t like fish sticks? From being homemade to frozen, it cooks amazingly in the air fryer!
Air fryer fish sticks are quick and easy to make for dinner or even an evening snack as they turn out crispy and crunchy in texture.
So, here I am going to tell you how to cook easy peasy fish sticks in the air fryer which you would love to have from time to time but without the added fat from frying.
Let’s get started.
- Fish- Fresh or frozen, both would work fine as long as it is thawed and cut into strips.
- Salt- As per your taste
- Flour- All-purpose flour is needed to coat the fish.
- Eggs- Eggs are also required to coat the fish evenly.
- Panko- This is lighter than breadcrumbs but it creates the best crunch in the fish.
- Cheese- Grated parmesan is used in this recipe to take the flavor of fish to next level.
- Seasoning- Fish seasoning is used for this recipe which is easily available in every grocery store.
- Garlic powder- Garlic powder brings impeccable flavor to the fish.
- Olive oil- You can use olive oil as in spray because direct putting olive oil on fish can ruin its texture.
- Step 1- Season the strips of fish with salt and pepper.
- Step 2- Make the wet batter for fish by mixing flour with water in one bowl then take the second bowl and whisk eggs in it then in the last bowl, add parmesan cheese, garlic powder, fish seasoning, and panko, and mix them.
- Step 3- Now dip the fish in flour, then egg, and then in the panko mixture.
- Step 4- Now spray some oil in the air fryer basket and place fish in it then let it cook for 10 minutes at 400° F or 3-4 minutes more if needed or until the internal temperature reaches 145° F degrees.
Tips and Tricks
Making homemade fish sticks in an air fryer means you can adjust the seasoning as per your taste to make the perfect meal.
- Fish- Cod fish is used in this recipe which is perfect for adding seasoning because it is of mild flavor. You can also use Tilapia, Pollock, and haddock fish for fish sticks.
- Choice of fish- You can freely use fresh or frozen fish for this recipe as both would work fine. But, if you choose frozen fish to make fish sticks, it would be better to thaw it overnight in the fridge.
- Pat dry- To make the bread coating stick to the fish, dry the fish sticks completely before adding seasoning.
- Oil spray- It’s good to spray oil on the bottom of the basket and the fish sticks because it would give them the best crunch.
- Panko- The panko would give the fish sticks much better crispiness than bread crumbs which is perfect for delicate fish.
- Cooking time- It’s important to adjust the cooking time of fish sticks according to your air fryer as every air fryer works differently. Though fish is done when its internal temperature reaches 145°F you can take out the fish at 140° F internal temperature because it would keep rising as it rests. So make sure not to overcook the fish or else you will be left with rubbery textured fish.
- Cutting size- Cutting fish into equal strips is very important to cook them evenly and leave the space between fish sticks while placing them in the air fryer basket so that air can circulate between them to cook them at the same rate.
How do you cook frozen fish sticks in the air fryer?
Frozen fish is easier to make in the air fryer as they are ready-made, already seasoned, and cut into strips, saving time. So, what you’d have to do is,
- Take out the number of fish sticks from the packaging which you want to cook for the family.
- Then put those fish sticks in the air fryer basket or tray and you don’t have to spray oil in the basket as they already contain some.
- Now let them cook for about 8 minutes at 400°F and make sure to flip the stick in between the cooking.
- When they are done, take out some to check if they are hot throughout.
- Once you’re sure they are perfectly done and crispy, take them out on a plate and enjoy.
You can also check out the following video to know how to cook frozen fish sticks in the air fryer.
Are frozen fish sticks healthy to eat?
While it is a well know fact that frozen sticks do contain oil because they are already pre-cooked but still they are considered healthy because
- Now, most brands don’t contain artificial flavors and preservatives.
- It contains real minced fish.
- You can also buy a whole fillet of fish sticks that are not minced with a Gorton’s fish sticks variety.
- Frozen fish sticks don’t require oil in air frying other than the oil already in them.
What is the best brand of frozen fish sticks?
There are many brands of frozen fish sticks which offer the best taste between the crispiness of breading while maintaining the freshness of the fish sticks.
However, some of the best brands of frozen fish sticks are
Can you cook fish sticks and tater tots together in an Air fryer?
Yes, you can cook tater tots with fish sticks in the air fryer because tater tots need the same cooking time as frozen fish sticks which makes it perfect to cook them together with these instructions:
- Just preheat the air fryer at 400°F for a few minutes.
- Put the frozen fish sticks on one side and tater tots on the other side of an air fryer.
- Let them cook together for 8-10 minutes while making sure to flip them through halfway cooking.
- Once they are crispy and done, take them out and enjoy.
How do you reheat fish sticks in the air fryer?
Reheating fish sticks in the air fryer is just amazing because the air fryer makes it crispy all over again like the first day, unlike microwaves which make fish sticks soggy while the inside of fish sticks remains tender and flaky.
Here’s how you can reheat the fish sticks:
- Put the air fryer to preheat at 400° F.
- Once reheated, put the fish sticks in the air fryer and let them cook for 1-2 minutes until they are heated thoroughly.
- When they are heated, take them out and enjoy.
Fish Sticks Storage and Reheating
Refrigerate cooked fish sticks in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
For optimal results, reheat leftover fish sticks in the air fryer. This method makes them crunchy again! A time of 1-2 minutes at 400°F/200°C should suffice.
Is it necessary to preheat my air fryer?
Each air fryer operates slightly differently, and each model comes with its own set of instructions.
It’s a toss-up between whether or not you should; and personally, I never preheat my air fryers.
I’d check the instructions for your air fryer to see what it says about preheating. If it says you should, then do it! Otherwise, don’t be concerned.
If you preheat the air fryer for the fish sticks, they may take less time to cook.
Fish sticks are the perfect crispy food item that you can make in the air fryer for your snack, appetizer, and dinner.
- Homemade and frozen fish sticks take 8-10 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
- Frozen fish sticks are easier to make as they are already seasoned and pre-cooked.
- Frozen fish sticks are also healthy because it doesn’t require oil while air frying other than the oil they already have.
- You can adjust the cooking time of fish sticks according to your air fryer.
- Overcrowding the air fryer basket with fish sticks would result in undercooked and soggy fish sticks.
- Make sure to shake the basket in between cooking to ensure evenly cooked fish sticks.
- Do you spray the air fryer or food?
- Can tilapia be made in the air fryer?
- How to make frozen chicken breast in the air fryer?