Being a foodie, I’ve tried a lot of dishes in an air fryer; french fries, dumplings, bacon, Brussels sprouts, and shrimp are some of the most popular ones. But what’s new is fillet mignon! Your appetite for steak can be easily sated with an air fryer fillet mignon. Yes, you heard it right!
Filet mignon is an incredibly rare and expensive cut of meat packed with many nutrients. Cooking mignon in an air fryer can quickly create a delicious main course with perfection. They come out with a beautiful golden-brown crust and a very juicy flavor.
In this blog, I’ll take a closer look at the recipe for making fillet mignon in an air fryer. Along with that, I will take a look at the frequently asked queries.
Why will you enjoy this air fryer filet mignon recipe?
I have added a few reasons for you to love this recipe.
- Exceptionally tender steak
- The compound butter topping is rich and savory.
- There’s no need to keep an eye on it (and no need to flip!)
- The preparation time is only 10 minutes.
- Only a few simple ingredients are required.
- It’s better than going to a steakhouse.
What should you serve with filet mignon?
Serve this air fryer filet mignon with one of these classic steak sides.
My favorites are the mashed cauliflower (you’ll be shocked at how much it tastes like potatoes) and the roasted broccoli and cauliflower. You can top it with an easy, luxurious compound butter.
What’s The Procedure For Making Air-Fried Filet Mignon?
To start with the recipe of air fried fillet mignon, we’ll need the:
- 3 ounces of tenderloin beef filets,
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 thin slices of bacon to round the fillet
- 1/2 tablespoon of fresh rosemary
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 °F (205 °C) for 30 minutes.
- Before cooking, defrost your meat for around 40 to 60 minutes at room temperature on your counter. Thawing will guarantee even cooking of the meat.
- Next, cut any connective tissue or silver skin and use a paper towel to dry the meat.
- After thorough patting, generously season the meat on both sides with salt, rosemary, and black pepper.
- After seasoning the meat, put the fillet mignons in the air fryer basket. Make sure to do so in a single layer, leaving spaces between them.
- Cook the steak until it reaches the required level of doneness. Air fry for 11 to 13 minutes for medium rare at 350 F.
Serve: Remove the steaks from the air fryer when they reach the correct temperature. Give meat five minutes to rest under a loose foil tent. Next, place it on a chopping board or platter. Then, add butter to the top of each fillet and serve.
The fillet mignon is perfectly seasoned with mouthwatering garlic butter. The thin and delicate piece of meat is ready within 20 minutes in an air fryer.
How Long Does it Take an Air Fryer to Cook a Fillet Mignon?
There are different temperatures for medium, medium rare, and fully cooked fillets. Use a meat thermometer to check the appropriate temperature. Here is the breakdown of the temperature needed for fillet mignon:
- Rare: 125 F
- Medium rare: 135 F
- Medium: 145 F
- Medium well: 155 F
- Well done: 160 F
Keep the fillets in the air fryers until cooked. The time also varies according to your level of cooking. That equates to:
- For Rare: 10–12 minutes
- For medium rare: 12 minutes
- For medium-well: 14 minutes
- For well done: 14–16 minutes
Note: Flip after 6 minutes of cooking to cook from both sides of the meat.
Is It Safe To Air Fryer-Steak?
Yes, it’s safe to air fry raw meat if you keep double-checking the safety protocols. Most people feel comfortable in only heating pre-cooked meats in an air fryer and avoid raw food. Well! That’s understandable air fryer isn’t designed to cook every food.
However, with some safety measures, you can cook a nice steak in an air fryer. The key is to keep in check the meat’s internal temperature to ensure safe cooking; that’ll be a great step towards ensuring meat’s safe and healthy consumption.
You can either use a probe thermometer or any relative temperature setting.
The USDA states that the internal temperature of several forms of meat, including beef and pork, should be at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. A little higher temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit is necessary for all poultry.
The air fryer makes it so simple to prepare fillets, which we previously reserved for exceptional occasions.
Let’s have a look at the nutrition facts of an air-fried fillet!
How Can I Tell If My Steak In The Air Fryer Is Cooked Correctly?
You need to check the temperature of the meat once air fried. Then compare it to the given temperature suggested by FDA. If your temperature ranges fall according to the abovementioned table, your steaks are done!
The FDA states that the steak is done perfectly when the internal temperature registers 145 F. I strongly advise using a meat thermometer since checking the inside temperature though a thermometer is the most reliable and secure way to know when meat is done.
Right Way to Marinade The Fillet Mignon
Here are step-by-step processes to marinate meat to make it more juicy and tender:
- Prepare the marinade: With paper towels, pat the steaks dry. Then, liberally sprinkle Montreal steak seasoning on both sides. Then, put the olive oil on the steak. Keep the marinated steak at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This will guarantee even cooking and result in juicier and more tender meat.
- Get the Blue Cheese Butter ready. While the steaks are marinating, combine the butter, blue cheese, parsley, and garlic in a small bowl and put it in the refrigerator. Freeze them the night before. I like to freeze the mixture in ice cube molds. Then, I melt them on the day of making the fillets. I keep the frozen cubes on the counter to melt while the steaks cook.
- Prepare the steaks. Set the air fryer temperature to 400 F. The steaks should be placed in the air fryer basket and cooked for 6 minutes. Then turn over and cook for additional 5 minutes at 350 F.
Place the steaks on a foil-covered dish for 2 minutes; while they are still hot and resting, I like to spread the blue cheese butter over them to melt.
Tips For Perfect Cooked Fillet Mignon
- Tenderloin beef fillet mignon is extremely lean. Use ribeye or a steak with a lot of marbling for a fatty cut.
- Make sure to use fresh garlic. Avoid using garlic powder or garlic minced from the shop. Filet mignon is expensive; therefore, using a high-quality component with maximum potency should be your priority.
- Before cooking the steak, allow it to remain at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. If not, it would result in uneven cooking.
- It’s better to eat the steak the same day you cook it. In any case, leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days if they are sealed tightly.
To conclude, I’d say that;
- Cooking fillet mignon in an air fryer is quite a delight. Marinade it first, then cook it for 18 minutes.
- The marinade gives a juicy flavor to the steak.
- There are different sets of temperatures for various levels of steak.
- A medium-rare steak differs from a well-done steak.
- Keep in mind the guidelines for cooking in an air fryer before you put the raw meat into it.
- Use a probe thermometer to check the temperature whenever needed.
- Health and safety should be of prime importance when using an air fryer or any other electric device.