Adding plenty of vegetables to your diet is essential. They are low in calories but keep you full for longer hours. Not only are they full of nutrients, but they also help you maintain your weight.
Many people find it hard to eat vegetables because they don’t taste as good as chicken or meat. However, they might not be cooking them properly because vegetables do taste delicious when done right!
Bacon-wrapped asparagus is a simple yet delicious recipe with a few ingredients. You might not like to eat asparagus, but once it is wrapped in bacon, it gives a tasty blend to the vegetable. It helps you get the benefits of both vegetables and meat!
It’s a fantastic appetizer that gets ready within 15-20 minutes in the air fryer.
Consuming asparagus may help with weight loss, better digestion, and reduced blood pressure, among other potential health advantages. While bacon is meat that typically has a lot of nutrition.
Today we’ll talk about the detailed recipe for making bacon-wrapped asparagus and some queries regarding it.
Let’s get started.
To cook asparagus wrapped in bacon, prepare the following ingredients!
- Asparagus: Get asparagus that’s large or average in size. It should have a green hue and sturdy spears. When buying it, go for the one stored in a chilled area.
- Bacon: Either a standard or thick cut; both will work.
- Olive oil: 1tbsp of olive oil is required for brushing asparagus and bacon.
- Spices: Gather paprika, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper to enhance the taste.
- Step 1- Gently break or trim the ends of the asparagus. Wash it before starting with the recipe. If you gently bend the asparagus, it will automatically break the tough end of the stem off. Bundle your asparagus stalks in groups of two or three if they are very thin.
- Step 2: Next, combine all the spices in a small bowl. Place the asparagus in a big dish or on a platter. Sprinkle the spice mixture over them and pour olive oil on top. Toss everything to ensure an even coating.
- Step 3: Simply wrap one piece of bacon around each asparagus stalk. Put a toothpick while bundling to keep them tight.
- Step 4- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then place the bacon-wrapped asparagus in the basket or tray of your air fryer.
- Step 5: Cook the bacon-wrapped asparagus for 10 minutes at 390 degrees. Make sure to flip them over and inspect them at the midway point of cooking.
Note: Place the bacon-wrapped asparagus in the air fryer basket with the ends of the strips on the bottom to avoid curling. Make sure there is adequate room between each bundle to allow for good airflow! Cook for 10-12 minutes if the bacon is thick.
Take it out of the basket, squeeze on some lemon juice, and savor it!
Check out the video below for more details:
While cooking this dish, you need to keep the following tips in mind:
- Before cooking, cut the ends of the asparagus by bending the spear end & holding it between two fingers. Trim the stalk from the edge it bends. It’d help you eliminate the harsh woody component that is not edible.
- The seasoning adds flavor! To season this dish, you can use garlic, onion, paprika, and salt. Try brown sugar to get a distinctive taste. You can also wrap cheese slices on asparagus before wrapping bacon on it.
- The thickness of bacon matters a lot! The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the bacon and asparagus. Thick bacon takes longer to cook. Always go with a thin one because it also cooks crispier in the air fryer.
- Simply switch the bacon or asparagus over halfway through cooking to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Put bacon in the air fryer basket without overlapping. However, you can slightly fold them to adjust a single batch in a small basket. Overcrowding the basket will lead to a mess and splitting of air-fried bacon.
- For extra crispiness, air fry for additional 2 minutes. To cool and drain any remaining grease, transfer it to a wire rack and let them sit there for 3 minutes before you serve.
There are a lot of options for serving this dish. I’ve listed some of my favorite servings here.
- You can serve bacon-wrapped asparagus with mashed potatoes, baked, sweet, and baby potatoes. Grilled vegetables and chicken are also great options. Baked brussels sprouts and green beans are highly nutritious and go well with this recipe!
- Mix in lemon juice and freshly grated parmesan cheese for a delightful alternative. About five minutes before the timer on the air fryer goes off, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the asparagus spears. This gives an incredible flavor to the bacon.
- Serve this meal with some coconut rice as a side dish or alongside other appetizers like chicken meatballs.
A single piece of bacon-wrapped asparagus contains almost 100 kcal. It is further divided into different nutrients.
As you can see, bacon and asparagus are rich in protein and carbs, while other nutrients are present in trace amounts.
How to Pick Up Good Asparagus?
While picking up asparagus for this recipe, go for stalks with pristine buds. Their stalks are sturdy and easy to break. Buy fresh color asparagus that is also smooth, as fresh color determines the freshness of vegetables.
In addition to that, choose colorful stalks that are round and rough. They are primarily purple, green, or white. All in all, you should look closely for small and closed tips of asparagus that tell you whether they are fully ripe or not.
How To Store The Leftovers Bacon Asparagus?
I’d advise you to eat bacon-wrapped asparagus fresh, as it’ll get mushy if stored. This dish is best when served immediately.
Though you can store them in the refrigerator for about 5 days, reheat them in your air fryer to restore some of that crispiness.
How Long Do You Cook Bacon Wrap Asparagus in an Air Fryer?
The cooking time depends on the thickness of the bacon and the type of asparagus. If the asparagus is thin, it will take around 10 minutes at 400 degrees F in the air fryer.
For thick stems, cooking time may need to be extended by up to 12 minutes. Use a probe thermometer to check the internal temperature of bacon to ensure safe cooking. The internal temperature should be 145 F (65 C).
How Long Do You Soak Asparagus?
After removing the ends, submerge the asparagus in cold water for at least 5 minutes. This way, you can maintain its color.
Some people don’t soak their asparagus before cooking it, but I think it’s essential. In addition to thoroughly cleaning them, getting rid of the grit and soaking them help them cook faster.
How Do You Prevent Bacon from Splattering in The Air Fryer?
Wrapped bacon doesn’t splatter or create any mess in the air fryer.
Still, to be on the safe side, add a cup of water to the air fryer basket. It will prevent splattering. Moreover, it will easily clean up the air fryer basket after cooking.
What Kind of Bacon Should You Use to Make Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus in the Air Fryer?
You can use any bacon but the Nueske’s is my favorite bacon brand in the test kitchen.
Although Nueske’s thick-cut strips are delicious on their own, for air-fried recipes, thinner-cut bacon is preferable to let heat permeate evenly to the asparagus.
How Far Up Each Spear Should Asparagus Be Trimmed?
Asparagus preparation is straightforward. Allow the stalk to inform you how much to cut.
Bend the asparagus gently. You’ll be able to sense where it’s going to break. Remove the stalk end as far as it will easily break. If you don’t want to go one by one, a chef’s knife can be used to cut off the rough, white-ish ends. Aim for one inch, maybe a little more.
- To conclude, I’d like to say that asparagus wrapped in bacon is highly nutritious. Air-fried bacon-wrapped asparagus is ready within 10 minutes. They are quick and easy with just a few ingredients.
- It is very important to cut the ends of asparagus and choose the ripe ones from the grocery store. You can try various seasonings to enhance the flavor. Cook it at 390°F for 20 minutes.
- But bacon causes a lot of mess if they are placed one above the other. It is better to choose green vegetables as they look fresh.
- I’ve given the recipe details with an outlook on frequently asked questions. Give a thorough read to the article to get the best results.