Air fryer muffins are simple and easy to make and are super delicious.
Making muffins in an air fryer comparatively takes less time than the oven as the air fryer preheats faster while the instructions are almost the same.
Muffins are best for breakfast as well as for relaxed brunch on weekends and the best part about air fryer muffins is that they come out slightly crispy from the top because of the constant airflow in the air fryer which gives a hint of bakery-style muffins.
So, Today I’m going to give you a basic recipe for vanilla muffins to which you can add chocolates, bananas, and blueberries.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, leveled
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or mild vegetable oil.
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sugar
For Banana Muffins
- Use mashed banana instead of sour cream
- 1 banana, chopped.
For Chocolate Muffins
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar for topping.
For Blueberries Muffins
- ½ cup fresh or thawed blueberries
- streusel topping
- Step 1- Preheat the air fryer to 400° F.
- Step 2- Line 8 silicone muffins with paper liners and keep them aside.
- Step 3- Take a large bowl, add baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk them together.
- Step 4- Take another large bowl, add butter and oil, whisk them until they are well combined then add egg in it and combine again.
- Step 5- Then add buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and stir again. Then add in sugar and whisk again for about 1 minute
- Step 6- Then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and whisk again to combine. Then, fold in the banana chunks, blueberries, or chocolate chips.
- Step 7- Put the prepared batter into the silicone cups, then top it with coarse sugar and streusel topping if desired.
- Step 8- Place the muffins in the air fryer basket and let them cook for 4 minutes at 400° F then lower the temperature from 400° F to 325° F and let them bake for another 11-13 minutes.
- Step 9- Insert a toothpick in the center of the muffins to check whether they are thoroughly cooked or not. If the toothpick comes out clean, then it means the muffins are done.
- Step 10- Remove the muffins from the air fryer and let them cool in the silicone cups for a few minutes.
- Step 11- Then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow them to cool down completely before serving.
Also, check out the following video to understand how to make air fryer muffins.
Can Paper Muffins Cups Be Used In An Air Fryer?
No, you cannot use paper muffins cup in an air fryer because they would lose their shape in the baking process, and you’d be left with a disaster to clean.
Regular paper liners are designed weak and are not considered good to withstand the air fryer temperature as a result, the batter would run out of muffin liners.
But you can use paper muffin liner in silicone muffin cups as they are designed for baking muffins without a pan and won’t lose their shape.
How To Store And Freeze The Muffins?
You can store air fryer muffins in an airtight container at room temperature, as they can stay fresh for 4 days.
It also depends upon the add-ins you add, then you may want to keep them in the refrigerator, but their shelf life would be shortened to 2 days if fresh fruits are added to them.
To Freeze: Wrap the muffins in plastic wrap individually and store them in a storage safe bag, it can stay there for 3 months. To thaw the muffins, unwrap them and let them sit on the counter for 1-2 hours.
Why do Air Fryer Muffins Come Out Deformed?
The reason air fryer muffins come out deformed is some air fryers blow hot air directly on the top of the muffin which forms a crust on top too early by which only one side of the muffin rises and the batter flows out of the silicone cups.
To prevent this issue, just try to arrange them differently in the air fryer basket so that air doesn’t flow directly on the top of the muffins you can place them along the side of the basket to avoid the center if there is a hot spot in the center of the air fryer.
You can also top the muffins with coarse sugar to delay the crust formation on them, and this would also result in well-risen muffins.
Tips To Make Air Fryer Muffins
- Oven-style air fryers are more compatible and powerful for making muffins than basket-style air fryers. So, just increase the distance between the muffins and the heating element by lowering the rack to avoid early rising oddly shaped muffins. You also need to watch them cooking for 5 minutes, if they are cooking too quickly on the air fryer setting, then use the baking setting of the air fryer.
- Make sure to use silicone cups for muffins rather than paper muffin liners if your air fryer doesn’t have space to fit standard muffin trays, as silicone cups are heavy and can quickly be filled and transferred to the counter without spilling.
- I recommend you use your air fryer’s manual cook times if you don’t know how long the air fryer takes to cook muffins, and you might also need to lower the temperature of the air fryer depending on its power and strength of it.
What Does the Texture of Air Fryer Muffins Look Like?
Air fryer muffins have a similar texture to oven-baked muffins.
An excellent muffin recipe will produce soft and moist muffins. Air-fried muffins may be slightly less soft, however, this is scarcely visible. And the texture has no effect on the taste.
Can I Use Silicone and Paper Baking Cups in an Air Fryer?
Both paper and silicone baking cups can be used in the air fryer.
Because silicone cups are more durable, they hold thicker muffin batter and result in less spilling than paper cups. For this reason, I prefer silicone cups.
It is preferable to use silicone muffin cups rather than paper muffin cups. Silicone muffin cups are hefty and can be easily filled on the counter and moved without leaking into the air fryer.
In summary, I would conclude.
- Air fryer muffins cook more quickly than the oven, as the air fryer preheats faster than the oven.
- To avoid the deformation of muffins, arrange them along the side of the basket.
- Never use paper muffin cups in an air fryer because they would lose their shape in the baking process.
- Silicone muffin cups are heavy and can easily hold the muffin batter without spilling it.
- Air fryer muffins can be stored at room temperature for 4 days, but their shelf life is shortened in the refrigerator.