I know you love mozzarella balls as much as I do, but are you tired of making homemade mozzarella sticks? If yes, then you would love this air fryer mozzarella balls recipe.
Air fryer mozzarella balls are easy yet healthy because they are baked instead of deep-fried, which saves a lot of calories.
These balls are ready to eat in 10 minutes and can be served as a snack or appetizer. You can serve them with a marinara sauce for an extra kick of flavor and you would be glad to hear everyone’s compliments about it.
So, let’s get straight to its recipe.
Ingredients To Make Mozzarella Balls
Before listing down its ingredients, I want to ask what comes to your mind when you think of cheesy balls. As there are already many variations in this appetizer, but one thing stays the same which is mozzarella cheese as its name tells you.
Here are the ingredients that you would be needing for this recipe:
Mozzarella Cheese – You can use your favorite sting cheese for this recipe or it could be fresh mozzarella as well. There is a huge variety of cheese brands available in the market
Breadcrumbs – You can use the bread crumbs of your choice, be it panko or pork rinds.
Butter – Unwanted melted butter is best for this recipe.
Crescent Sheets – Crescent rolls or crescent sheets can be used.
Seasoning – You can use seasoning as per your choice to make your desired flavor. I prefer to use fresh minced garlic, cayenne powder, and Italian seasoning.
Directions To Make Air Fryer Mozzarella Balls
- Put the crescent sheet on a flat surface.
- Now cut the mozzarella sticks into thirds.
- Then identify how big you want to cut the dough according to the size of the mozzarella sticks.
- Once you figure it out, cut the crescent dough.
- Wrap the dough around the mozzarella sticks and make sure to press the end hard so it doesn’t fall apart.
- Now dip the mozzarella sticks into butter and then dip them into breadcrumbs.
- When they all are well coated, put the mozzarella balls into an air fryer basket and let them cook at 390° F for 6-8 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Plate, serve and enjoy.
Tips To Make The Best Mozzarella Balls
- Make sure to use your hands to close the end of the crescent dough because in this way the cheese inside wouldn’t leak.
- Instead of crescent dough, you can use biscuit dough and pizza dough as well but they are thicker, hence cooking time will be increased.
- Don’t forget to spray some olive oil in the air fryer basket so that mozzarella balls don’t get stuck to the air fryer basket. You can also use parchment paper, aluminum, or tin foil to protect the mozzarella balls.
- Make sure to flip the mozzarella balls halfway through the cooking process to cook them evenly from both sides.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket, instead cook the balls in a single layer to let them cook evenly.
After getting into detailed instructions for air fryer mozzarella balls, which are simple and easy to make. Let’s check out its nutritional information to see how many calories you save by air frying them.
How Long Do You Need To Cook Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Balls?
You need to air fry them at 390° F for 6-8 minutes.
Just put the frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer basket or tray and spread them evenly in a single layer to ensure proper cooking.
Believe me, there is nothing better than air-fried cheese, and an air fryer does that job pretty well.
How To Store Air Fryer Mozzarella Balls?
To Refrigerate: You can store mozzarella balls in the refrigerator by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap or an airtight container before placing them in the refrigerator, as in this way they won’t be dried out.
To Freeze: Mozzarella balls are safe to freeze for 3 months. All you have to do is place them into a parchment baking lined sheet and put them in the freezer. Freeze them until the cheese turns solid, it might take one hour or so, then remove them from the baking sheet and transfer them to a freezer bag.
It might last in the freezer for 3-4 months. When you want to have mozzarella balls, place the frozen mozzarella balls in the air fryer and let them cook for 6-8 minutes at 400° F, and voilà, the yummy mozzarella balls are all set to eat.
What Dip Can Be Served With Air Fryer Mozzarella Balls?
You would be happy to know that mozzarella balls can be paired with many sauces, but my personal favorite is marinara sauce, as it tastes bomb with mozzarella balls. However, some other sauces go well with this recipe.
Do You Need To Use Fresh Mozzarella For This Recipe?
No, there is no need to use fresh mozzarella for this recipe.
But as per your desire, you can use chunks of fresh mozzarella, mozzarella string cheese, or bite-size pieces of mozzarella medallions.
But my favorite part of this recipe is serving the Mozzarella balls warm and fresh and watching the gooey cheesy pull while pulling the mozzarella balls apart, and that’s when everybody falls for this sight.
Can I Season These Mozzarella Balls With Other Flavors?
You absolutely can add other seasonings.
To make these taste like your favorite pizza restaurant, make an egg wash and brush the mozzarella balls with it before dipping them in a garlic powder and breadcrumb combination. To make this adjustment, whisk together one beaten egg and a teaspoon of water in a small basin, then brush the mozzarella balls with the egg wash.
How Do You Prevent Mozzarella Sticks from Blowing Up in an Air Fryer?
Nothing is worse than discovering that all of your mozzarella sticks spilled while cooking! Fortunately, this trick is designed to help prevent that from happening.
A proper double breading should maintain the cheese on the inside and the golden brown crust on the outside. For each dip, apply egg wash and crumbs to all sections of the mozzarella ball.
Air fryer mozzarella balls are an easy and fun snack/appetizer which only needs a handful of ingredients to make and get ready in under 10 minutes.
- You need to cut the mozzarella sticks into equal sizes so they can be cooked evenly.
- Make sure to spray some olive oil in the air fryer basket so that the mozzarella stick doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the air fryer.
- Don’t forget to flip the mozzarella balls halfway through the cooking process.
- Use your hand to close the end of the dough to make sure that the cheese doesn’t leak while cooking.
- Mozzarella balls can be stored in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
- There is no hard and fast rule to using fresh mozzarella in the mozzarella balls.