Carrots are a favorite side dish in my house because they are enjoyed by everyone. And honey glazed carrots are a delicious addition to dinners because they are not overly sweet.
Carrots are a wonderful and versatile vegetable. You can eat them raw or with dips in addition to cooking them in the air fryer. They can also be frozen or kept on hand for a couple of weeks. However, you will adore them with this glaze.
This honey-glazed baby carrots recipe is the ideal side dish for almost any meal. The carrots are coated in honey and topped with brown sugar before being cooked to perfection in your air fryer.
How Long Does it take to cook carrots in an air fryer?
Air frying is a quick process and it can cook your food within a few minutes. It takes about 7 to 15 minutes to cook carrots in an air fryer. This time can vary depending on the type of your air fryer.
What Are baby carrots?
Baby carrots are young carrots harvested before they reach full maturity. Alternatively, whole mature carrots cut and rounded in the ‘baby-cut’ style could be used.
In any case, they’re delicious and perfect for this recipe. Baby carrots may be tender and sweeter than mature carrots.
How to make air fryer glazed carrots?
Start drying those baby carrots a little. Carrots have a high water content by nature, and you’ll notice that they’re quite moist when you open the package. Put them in a large bowl and soak up some of the moisture with a couple of paper towels.
This will significantly speed up the roasting/caramelization process. Then toss them in a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a tablespoon of brown sugar.
Preheat your air fryer for about 5 minutes at 400°(F). We want the carrots to begin cooking as soon as possible. The size of different brands of baby carrots can vary slightly. The total cooking time should be between 14 and 18 minutes.
After removing the carrots from the air fryer, place them in a bowl or large serving dish and immediately drizzle with honey and maple syrup while they are still hot. Toss them for about a minute to coat all of the carrots with the sweet goodness.
Why are my air fryer carrots still hard?
First, make sure your fryer is hot enough; it should be preheated to 375° F before use.
Second, jiggle the carrots halfway through cooking time to help all of them to cook evenly.
Third, adjust the cooking time based on the size of the carrots. Are you using large, thick carrots that haven’t been trimmed? They’ll take a little longer then!
Because each air fryer is different, keep an eye on the basket and cook your air fryer carrots for a little longer if they’re still a little hard.
Tips on getting perfect carrots
- A light dusting of shredded parmesan gives these fries a wonderful saltiness. After frying, not before, add a cheese topping. It creates a lovely melty coating.
- The air fryer carrots are slightly sweet, but not as much as candied carrots. To balance out the sweetness, sprinkle some salt on top of the fries right before serving. They’re delicious with just a pinch of freshly cracked sea salt!
- Smaller carrots will crisp up faster in your air fryer. If you use baby carrots, it will only take 7-10 minutes.
- The baking time will differ from batch to batch due to how different carrots can be in terms of length, width, and overall size. As a result, I recommend testing this recipe before any ‘holiday’/important occasion to determine the baking time.
- Use carrots of equal size to ensure even cooking. Avoid carrots that are too thin at the end because they will burn.
- Use a dark baking sheet and leave some space between the carrots to allow the steam to escape for more browned carrots. If the carrots become tender before caramelizing, you can finish them with a few minutes under the broiler.
- You can cut the carrots in half lengthwise to speed up the cooking time, but I prefer the flavor/texture of whole roasted carrots.
- Avoid pre-peeled and chopped carrots: while they reduce prep time, they also reduce flavor.
How do you prepare carrots for air frying?
If you have whole mature carrots, wash and pat them dry. Then, using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel the skin off both ends.
Horizontally cut the carrot in half. Then, slice vertically to make two to three-inch long, half-inch thick slices. Cutting carrots uniformly will ensure that they cook together evenly.
Add-ons and variations you can opt for
Balsamic vinegar: For honey balsamic carrots, combine 2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar with rosemary or thyme.
To make honey ginger carrots: Add a small amount of fresh grated/powdered ginger to taste. A squeeze of orange/lemon juice (1 tbsp) will also complement the dish.
Cinnamon: I like to add a pinch of cinnamon or a combination of warming spices to these honey-glazed carrots incorporating cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
Parsley: sprinkle finely chopped fresh parsley over the honey-baked carrots.
Honey-roasted carrots and parsnips can be made using the same technique. The baking time will be similar if you slice the carrots and parsnips into smaller, even-sized pieces.
Carrots with honey and brown sugar: Use half honey and half brown sugar. Because these will be very sweet, feel free to add some lemon juice or vinegar and optionally garlic.
Mustard: 1 tablespoon Dijon or whole grain mustard makes delicious honey mustard carrots.
Garlic: Honey garlic carrots are one of my favorites. They’re buttery, tender, and just the right amount of sweet and savory. I recommend using approximately 5 tablespoons of butter, 2-3 tablespoons of honey, and 4 minced garlic cloves. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, garlic, and honey and heat over medium heat until well combined, slightly fragrant, and frothy usually 2-3 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
is it healthier to bake or boil carrots?
Carrots are one of the few vegetables that, when cooked, may become more nutritious.
While cooking reduces the vitamin C content of carrots, it increases the availability of carotenoids, a powerful antioxidant in the carrots, which are converted to vitamin A and benefit hair, heart, and eye health.
Carrots cooked whole especially when boiled will also help boost nutrient levels as opposed to dicing them.
In terms of which is better, I believe both are comparable when cooked whole. However, I prefer the texture and flavor of roasted carrots, so they are the clear winner in my opinion.
can I use frozen carrots?
These honey-glazed carrots should not be made with frozen carrots.
However, I must admit that I had never attempted it. Allow them to completely thaw before continuing with the recipe if desired.
Because they are usually blanched and contain more water, they will likely take less time in the oven and will not caramelize as well.
Are Glazed Carrots good for you?
These glazed carrots contain sugar, which may be considered unhealthy. However, because they are cooked in the air fryer, all of the vitamins and nutrients of the carrots are retained, unlike other cooking methods.
While every child is unique and prefers different foods, glazed carrots are a good option if you want to introduce or encourage your child to try or enjoy vegetables. Because they’re quite sweet, even those who normally avoid vegetables may be willing to try glazed carrots!
The nutritional facts of two medium carrots of about 100 grams are:
How To Make Ahead And Store These Carrots?
The carrots can be washed, trimmed, and peeled a day ahead of time and stored in an airtight container. Alternatively, you could toss the carrots with the honey topping for 4-5 hours before baking.
I prefer making them fresh, but you could make the entire recipe ahead of time and reheat it on the day.
Allow the honey-roasted carrots to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
I’d rather not (as they become mushy). However, the cooled honey carrots can be frozen in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for several months.
For the least mushy results, reheat from frozen.
Is It Necessary To Use Baby Carrots For This Recipe?
You can use carrot slices or carrot sticks. I love small carrots since they require less preparation and are already sliced into bite-sized pieces. Simply modify the cooking time for thinner carrots.
Baby carrots are incredibly simple to prepare in the air fryer. The good thing about these carrots is that they cook in just 10 minutes. So they’ll be done in time for dinner even if you make them at the last minute.
Is It Necessary To Spray Or Oil The Basket First?
I strongly advise lightly brushing the basket with olive oil before adding the carrots. The honey is slightly sticky, making it much easier to remove them and clean the basket.
I like my honey-glazed carrots tender, so I cooked them for the entire 10 minutes. If you like your carrots crisp, cook them for a couple of minutes less time.
- When it comes to vegetables, glazed carrots give you a different vibe. From its name, deep down you’d want to eat it.
- Glazed carrots are mainly made with baby carrots, however, if you have fully mature carrots you can cut them into equal slices, so they can cook evenly.
- Air frying carrots is one of the healthiest processes, it comes second to sauteing them.
- You can size up the carrots a day before, but I don’t recommend freezing them and then placing them in an air fryer.
- There are plenty of variations that you can go for with air fryer carrots, such as cinnamon, parsley, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and many more.
- Making glazed carrots is pretty easy, all you have to do Is prepare the sauce beforehand and toss the carrots with the sauce in the bowl.