Cod fish is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, and protein. Furthermore, it has less fat and more protein than other fish.
You can grill or bake the cod; however, the air fryer works best if you want to make it healthy with the lowest calories possible.
Air-fried cod has a crispy and tender texture with a moist interior. It is easy to prepare and can be made in just 10 minutes. You can even pair it well with air-fried french fries, carrots & asparagus.
Let’s get straight to the recipe for delicious and simple air-fried cod.
What exactly is cod?
Cod is a type of fish found in the oceans along the coasts of Europe and North America.
It’s a popular seafood option because it has a moderate flavor and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Cod is also high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which are healthy for your health.
Cod comes in a variety of varieties, including:
- Atlantic Cod (Scrod, Whitefish)
- Pacific Cod (Alaska Cod, Grey Cod, True Cod, Tara, Codfish)
- Black Cod (Sablefish, Butterfish)
- Lingcod (Buffalo Cod, Bluefish, White Cod)
- Rockfish (Rock Cod, Pacific Snapper)
- Pollock (Alaskan Pollock)
Is it possible to utilize frozen cod fish?
You can use frozen fish, but be sure to thaw the fillets before breading them, and dry them with paper towels first.
The drying process aids in the adhesion of the breading. Cooking frozen fish without any kind of coating will take longer than usual.
Air Fried Cod Recipe
Below is a step-by-step procedure to make delicious air-fried cod.
- 2 cod fillets, each weighing about 6 ounces.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
Directions for Cooking
- Lightly rinse and dry the fish with paper towels. Place it aside. Then, add the paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Stir everything together.
- Apply olive oil to both sides of each piece of cod. Next, coat it with the spice mixture.
- Arrange the fish fillets in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Then, cook it at 400°F for about 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
That’s all! A quick and simple procedure to make healthy protein-packed cod in the air fryer.
Check out the video for step by step process of making cod in the air fryer.
Serving Suggestions For Air-Fried Cod
- You may serve crispy cod fish with some air-fried baby potatoes, potato wedges, and sweet baked potatoes.
- Air-fried carrots and beans pair well with the cod.
- You can also serve them with different salads, such as coleslaw, spring salad, and caesar salad which are highly nutritious.
- Or mix in the tartar sauce, cashews & mayo sauce for zesty flavors.
How To Make Parmesan Baked Cod In The Air Fryer?
Directions for Cooking
- Pat the fish dry after a slight rinse. Then season it with salt and pepper.
- Take a separate bowl and whisk 2 eggs in it. Then, add the parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder. You can also use paprika, garlic powder, and cajun seasoning.
- For breading, add the flour to a bowl. First, dip the raw fish in flour and then the egg mixture.
- Spray some olive oil on the air fryer basket, then place the fish in it—Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Flip the fish gently halfway through cooking. Let it bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
Check the temperature with the aid of a probe or an instant thermometer. Once cooked, take it out carefully. Finally, serve the crispy panko and cheesy cod with ketchup and fries.
Serving of 2 fillets of parmesan cod contains 303 kcal in total.
While air-frying cod, keep in mind the following tips for best results:
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. The fish won’t cook properly if there isn’t enough room for proper air circulation.
- Use a high-quality cod fillet.
- Preheating is essential for fish to absorb oil.
- Make a thin batter with more liquid for a more crispy texture.
- Read the instructions on the package to thaw frozen fish. The safest way to thaw a fish is to place it in the refrigerator. Set the fridge temperature between 35 F to 45 F to prevent the growth of unhealthy organisms.
- To remove any extra moisture, pat the fish dry with a paper towel.
- Spraying with oil helps improve the texture of the fish. For that, use a spray bottle with oil in it. Please avoid using non-stick sprays like pam. Oil with additives can damage your air fryer.
- You can achieve the best crust with panko because it retains less moisture than regular breadcrumbs.
How to Thaw Frozen Fish?
It would be best to thaw any frozen cod before dipping it into the seasoning mixture. Here are two techniques for defrosting cod:
- The simplest and slowest approach is to keep the fish in the fridge for one to two days.
- As a second approach, place the frozen cod in its plastic wrap and put it in warm water. Give the fish 15 to 20 minutes to soak and then cook.
Note: Use warm water, not hot boiling water.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should cod be air-fried?
Air fry at 400°F for 15 minutes for cod loin or 12 minutes for thinner cod fillets. The internal temperature of fish should register 145 F when it cooks properly.
How to store air-fried cod properly?
Place your air-fried cod in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can refrigerate leftovers for two to three days. You can also store the fish by putting it in a freezer bag after it has cooled.
Don’t keep the air-fried cod in the fridge for more than 3 days. There is a limit to how long it will stay fresh without compromising taste.
How can you reheat the cod in the air fryer and microwave?
You can microwave the cod for 45 seconds to warm it. I like to reheat my fish in the air fryer to maintain its crispness.
For reheating in the air fryer, cook for 3 to 4 minutes at 340 F. Bake the cod for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for reheating in the oven.
Even though reheating won’t have the same crunch, it will still be tasty.
What does air-fried cod taste like?
The air fryer yields the most tender & flakiest cod you’ve ever tasted. It has a flaky texture and mild, milky flavor.
Can you air fry frozen cod?
You can cook frozen fish in the air fryer with the tray under the basket for 6-8 minutes at 400°F.
If the fish is vacuum-sealed in plastic, you can defrost it quickly by setting it in a basin of room-temperature water for 10 to 15 minutes. If you do it that way, the fish will defrost naturally faster than if you leave it at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
To conclude, I’d like to say that;
- Air-fried cod is exceptionally crispy and flaky with a rich flavor. It gets ready within 10 minutes. It is rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids that benefit hair, skin, and health.
- Air fry the fish at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes maximum. Frozen fish might take a few more minutes of cooking. It depends on the size and model of your air fryer. Varying the time within these limits is okay.
- You can keep the cod in the freezer for 3 days at most. Reheating it in an air fryer is one of the most effective options.