A tagalong cookie is a shortbread cookie filled with a layer of sweetened peanut butter and a milk chocolate covering.
The peanut butter and chocolate flavors are delicious and richer than any other cookies. They become incredibly delicious when you wrap them in dough and air fry them!
There are several recipes for making tagalong cookies in the air fryer. But this one is the most suitable recipe. It has a keto-friendly alternative as well. You’ll get all the details over here.
Let’s get started!
How To Cook Air-Fried Tagalong Cookies?
You only need 4 basic ingredients to make tagalongs in the air fryer. Here’s the list of all of them:
- 4 Pillsbury crescent roll dough
- 4 tagalongs
- 4 crescent dough sheets
- 3 tbsp of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- Set the air fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out the crescent rolls on a clean kitchen counter. Separate each roll properly.
- Then, place each roll in the preheated air fryer’s basket.
- Place each Tagalong cookie in the center of the crescent-shaped dough sheet and cover it completely by wrapping up the edges. It should be at the bottom of the basket.
- Bake these tagalong cookies for 4 to 5 minutes. Note that the cookies are golden brown and with crisp edges.
- Toss powdered sugar midway through the air-frying process. Or sprinkle sugar on top once they are done. It’s completely your choice.
- Coat the cookies with peanut butter and air fry for another 3 to 4 minutes at 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the air fryer basket and take out the cookies.
- You can separate the cookies into halves and sprinkle powdered sugar on them. It is extremely delicious!
- Serve them alongside any hot beverage or just a cup of milk!
- The batch size is based on your air fryer’s type and model. Usually, large air fryers can cook up to 7 tagalong cookies in a single batch. At the same time, the smaller ones bake 5 cookies at a time. Leave a 1-inch space between each cookie for sound airflow.
- Make sure to check the crispiness of the cookies in the last few minutes. It’s better to check after 5 minutes. Most cookies turn brown and crispy within 5 minutes. But tagalong cookies might take 2 to 3 additional minutes.
- Make the cookie dough from scratch by following the keto-friendly version of this recipe.
- Keep the ingredients at room temperature if you’re making the dough at home. Do not over-mix the batter; otherwise, it’ll turn crumbly.
- Roll the crescent dough with your hands to make balls, or spread the dough to fit the tagalong cookies inside.
- Let the dough sit in the fridge for some time. It’ll slightly harden the butter and aid in maintaining the cookie shape during baking and slicing.
- Use a cookie spatula to remove them from the air fryer basket.
- Do not overbake the cookies. They’ll be soft initially, but they harden on air frying so resist the urge to bake them.
This recipe yields 150 calories. They are further divided into different nutrients. Here’s a list of the number of nutrients in a single serving of air-fried Tagalong cookies.
These homemade air-fried cookies will remain fresh for 5 days. Store them in an airtight cookie jar on the kitchen counter. You don’t have to refrigerate them.
Refrigerate them if you need to keep them for a longer period. It will remain fresh for 3 weeks to 3 months. All in all, these tagalong cookies are stored easily for a longer period.
A keto-friendly Alternative to this Recipe
The keto-friendly version of this recipe is quite tricky, but it’s a must-try for anyone who’s been following a keto diet lately. They’ll love this amazing alternative!
To make cookies, we need the following:
- ¼ cup Swerve (A granular sweetener)
- 2 tbsp of coconut milk
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- 3 tbsp of melted butter
- 2 tbsp of egg white
- 1 tsp of Fresh vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp of Unsweetened chocolate or cocoa butter
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsp of butter
- ⅓ cup of powdered sweetener for making the peanut butter filling
Directions To Cook
- Set the air fryer to 325°F and line the air fryer basket with a silicone liner.
- Dust the workstation with flour, a baking sheet, or a silicone liner.
- Mix the almond flour, granulated sweetener, coconut milk, and salt in a big bowl.
- Add the melted butter, egg whites, and vanilla essence to the prepared dough mixture.
- Knead the dough into a ball. Then, roll it out on a 1/4-inch thick cookie.
- Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut as many circles as possible.
- Arrange them in an air fryer basket and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Once they turn brown and crispy, take them out of the air fryer’s basket.
For Buttery Peanut Filling
- Combine butter and peanut butter in a small bowl in microwave-safe bowl. Heat them for 30 seconds in a microwave until they melt smoothly. Let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add powdered sweetener to this mixture. The filling is ready!
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling on the top of each air-fried cookie. Whisk 1 teaspoon of powdered sweetener again. It should be thick enough!
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 1.5 hours to help it solidify.
For chocolate coating
- Melt the chocolate and cocoa butter collectively in a microwave-resistant bowl. Use waxed paper to line the platter dish.
- Dip the frozen cookies into the chocolate mixture to coat them properly.
- Gently tap the fork to scrape any extra chocolate from the side of the bowl.
- Chill the cookies for 30 minutes to ensure a perfectly stiff coating.
The cookies can be kept in the fridge for up to 10 days or on the counter for up to a week in a closed container. Additionally, they can be frozen for up to two months. To prevent freezer burn, make sure the container is airtight.
Check out the video below for more information about tagalong cookies in an air fryer:
Can we use any other cookies for this recipe?
A variety of cookies can be wrapped in crescent dough and air-fried. Girl Scout cookies have endless options.
You can wrap Oreo cookies, thin mints, or even a simple white chocolate chip cookie to air fry. It’s up to you!
What is the ideal time and temperature for Tagalong cookies?
First, preheat the air fryer to an ideal temperature of 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add the cookies to the air fryer basket. Then bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until the crescent dough is golden brown and crispy.
The air fryer can bake cakes, pies, cookies, and more. An air fryer doesn’t require much preheating time and can cook a few cookies in half the time compared to an oven. You’ll still get the desired texture and flavor.
What are the different Girl Scout cookies?
- S’mores Girl Scouts TM: These are Graham cookies dipped in delectable crème frosting.
- Sweet Mints®: These are crisp chocolate wafers covered in a chocolatey mint glaze
- Caramel delights: These are shortbread peanut butter sandwiches.
- Lemonades®: It contains authentic lemon flavor. It’s a bit tangier than other types of cookies.
- Peanut butter pies®: They are filled and coated with peanut butter.
What is the world’s most delicious Girl Scout cookie?
Tagalongs and peanut butter patties are the top choices among Girl scout cookies. Tagalong is the most popular Girl Scout cookie but has a unique, authentic taste.
Tagalong cookies contain; a crispy cookie layer, a soft cookie layer, a peanut butter layer, and a chocolate coating.
Can Cookies Be Baked In An Air Fryer?
An air fryer can bake a few cookies in approximately half the time it takes an oven, and it doesn’t require much time to heat up. Furthermore, you will retain the desired texture and flavor!
But it doesn’t always make sense to cook a large amount at once, especially if your preferred method of consumption is hot and gooey. An air fryer can bake a few cookies in approximately half the time it takes an oven, and it doesn’t require much time to heat up.
Is It Necessary To Put Parchment Paper In An Air Fryer For Cookies?
To prepare cookies in an air fryer, use parchment paper; otherwise, the cookie batter would drip right through the basket’s openings. It also makes removing the cookies in a basket-style air fryer much easier!
A basic chocolate chip cookie bakes for five minutes at 350°F and comes out perfectly. Most cookies, however, can be prepared in an air fryer. Reduce the heat on the machine by around 25°F for air frying (for example, if a cookie recipe asks for 350°F in a regular oven, set it to roughly 325°).
- Air-fryers can make tagalong cookies in just 5 to 7 minutes. The peanut filling and chocolate coating make them even more delicious.
- Air-fry at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for an ideal crispy texture. Tagalong cookies contain a shortbread base, peanut butter filling, and chocolate coating.
- This recipe has a keto-friendly variation that makes the dough from scratch. Follow the instructions carefully to get the perfect results.
- Check for crispy edges and a golden brown texture in the last 2 minutes. Tagalong is best for everyone, whether it’s the kids or the adults. You can bake these yummy cookies for any gathering you like! Enjoy!