Air fryers have made our lives easier. You can cook anything from pizza rolls to chicken wings and various other recipes in the air fryer.
Air-fried bagels are the easiest and quickest of all. The recipe I’ll share uses gluten-free bread flour. It is high in protein and fiber. Therefore, they are generally healthier than bagels made from all-purpose flour.
You can customize them with different toppings and seasonings. It’s a classy recipe to try out for breakfast when you’re running out of time.
Let me tell you how!
How to Make Your Own Self-Rising Flour?
To make self-rising flour, you just require to add baking soda and salt to the flour.
For this recipe, you only need one cup of flour. So if you take 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and stir them all together in a small bowl; you will have your self-rising flour!
Double or triple the recipe to keep on hand for future services.
How To Make Air-Fried Bagels?
To make air-fried bagels, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Bread flour: For chewy bagels, you need high-protein bread flour. It is an essential base ingredient for our recipe. You can also use unbleached all-purpose flour. However, it will result in a less chewy texture compared to one made with bread flour.
- Baking powder or baking soda (1 tbsp.): It creates air in the dough and ensures even leavening.
- Yeast: Use can use either active or dry yeast.
- Brown sugar: Feel free to use the white one.
- 1 tsp kosher salt: It is incredibly useful and improves the flavor. It also enhances the gluten strands in dough and holds Co2 in dough efficiently.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt: Choose plain, non-fat greek yogurt and avoid any flavored varieties. I prefer sugar-free yogurt.
- 1 egg: Brush the tops of the bagels with the eggs to get a stunning golden brown texture.
Once you gather all these ingredients, follow the instructions given below.
Instructions for Cooking
- First, add half the bread flour, baking soda, yeast, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk everything together.
- Then, add the Greek yogurt. Mix it by stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Now, create a dough ball and place it on a floured surface. Make two halves of the dough with a knife.
- Roll each piece into a rope measuring 8-10 inches to form a bagel shape. Next, squeeze the sides together.
- Brush the bagels with egg, and toss them in the air fryer. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and cinnamon on top. You can also use milk, buttermilk, or cream instead of egg wash to brush on the bagels.
- Air fry the bagels at 350 F for 10-12 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Let it cool for 5 minutes, and then enjoy!
Avoid jamming too many bagels into the air fryer basket since they tend to spread and rise. Leave proper space for them to rise and soften properly.
Check out the video below for making air-fried bagels:
Suggestions for Seasoning
- Season the bagels with everyday seasoning. You can make it at home using ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. You can use salt, poppy seeds, toasted sesame seeds, dried garlic, and dried onion.
- Slice the bagel half and fill it with cream, crumbled asiago, or cheddar cheese. Cheddar cheese needs to be melted for the gooey bagel filling.
- Semolina seeds are full of protein and make the air-fried bagel more healthy.
How To Make An Air-Fried Bagel Sandwich?
Air-fried bagels are preferable for breakfast as well as for dinner. You can make a delicious breakfast sandwich by adding air-fried bacon, cheese, and an egg. Adding the egg yolk would give it a sandwich look.
For the topping, spread your preferred type of cream cheese. The onion, chives, and bagel spice is my particular favorite addition to it.
For lunch and dinner, I enjoy preparing deli-style turkey sandwiches with bagels. You may also simply make your preferred type of sandwich and top it with some of your desired sandwich ingredients.
Let me show you how to put one together:
- First of all, cut the bagel in half. It can be buttered to make it even more delicious. On the bagel halves, spread the herb cream cheese.
- Cover the bottom half of the bagel with a slice or two of smoked salmon. On the salmon slice, scatter some thinly sliced red onions.
- Sprinkle some minced dill and capers on top of the onions. Place the second half of the bagel on top. Bake it in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes at 370 F to create a perfect sandwich.
That’s it, air-fried bagel sandwich is ready to serve!
Herb Cream Cheese for Air Fried Bagels
Homemade herb cream cheese adds more flavor to the bagels.
All you need is cream cheese, lemon juice, and chopped dill. Take a medium bowl and then blend the ingredients by whisking. You can add chopped parsley or chives alongside extra lemon juice to enhance the flavor.
Cut the bagels in half and apply the cheese! You’ll never eat your bagels without them again.
Nutritional Content For Bagels
One serving of bagel contains 166 kcal in total. Here’s a breakdown of the major amounts of nutrients present in bagels.
How are Frozen Air-Fried Bagels Prepared?
You don’t need to defrost bagels before air frying. Just mist the frozen, sliced bagel with water before toasting them in an air fryer. Remember to give e a slight rinse, not a wash!
Then place the slices into the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let it air-fry for 5 minutes. You can take out the bagels when they become golden brown.
How to Reheat Bagels in an air fryer?
Take the bagel and cut it in half. Put the bagels in the air fryer basket to have their cut side up.
Set the temperature to 370 degrees Fahrenheit, and let them heat up for 5 minutes. Then remove and add some butter on top and enjoy.
What’s the Most Effective Way to Store Bagels?
Bagels that have been air-fried can be kept for up to five days in the refrigerator. Moreover, you can place them in a zip lock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 4 months.
You can enjoy them again by reheating them in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes or in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
What Are the Benefits of Gluten-Free Bagels?
Gluten-free bagels help with weight loss, improve appetite, and are easily digestible.
Help in Weight loss: Gluten-free bagels don’t have complex carbohydrates. Eliminating carbs reduces bloating, which ultimately aids in weight loss.
Keeps you energized: Air-fried bagels digest quickly and help you feel more energized.
Relieves digestive discomfort: Gluten-free bagels are a healthy option with various health advantages. It can help you get rid of digestive discomfort.
How To Toast a Bagel in An Air Fryer?
You can toast the bagels in air fryers with ease. Just follow these directions;
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F for 2-5 minutes.
- Two pieces of bread or a bagel cut in half should be placed in the air fryer basket and cooked for three minutes at 350°F (176° C).
- Depending on how you want your bagels toasted, you might want to add 1-2 minutes if you have larger bagels.
Enjoy it after adding cream cheese, jam, or any topping you like!
Recipe Suggestions and Substitutions
Sesame seeds and everything bagel seasoning are two of our favorite bagel toppings.
For cinnamon raisin bagels, combine raisins and cinnamon in the dough.
Everything bagel seasoning is my personal fave. It’s a delicious combination of savory flavors that pairs well with cream cheese. This also works great when making a sandwich with the bagel.
To conclude, I’d like to say that air-fried bagels are ideal for breakfast.
- It’s the quickest of all recipes. Air fryers can bake bagels in just 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- You can store air-fried bagels in the refrigerator for about 4 months. The zip-lock bag prevents it from turning soggy.
- You can use various seasonings or fillings to serve bagels. I prefer cream cheese and spices.
- You might like to top them with honey, semolina seeds, or cheese.